Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a stand out in A/T's

Old 11-27-2019, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D-Dub
I'm going with a new set of tires this coming spring and wondering which one of these tires (if any) are noticeably better or worse.
Working with an 18 2-Dr that's used mainly on-road with some mild trail rides and a few weekend trips to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes. I don't do any hardcore off-roading these days so thinking an A/T will be the best compromise. 3 of my choices are standard loads and the BFG is load range C. I'd like to keep the on-road ride smoothish but had to include the BFG. Heck they've been building that tire since I was a teenager, they must be doing something right. Been reading and searching but can't find much info for my style wheeling. Anyhoo...

Leaving price out of the process, which would you choose?

NITTO TERRA GRAPPLER G2 P285/70R17 116T SL
FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T3W P285/70R17 117T SL
NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLER 285/70R17 116Q SL
BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2 LT285/70R17 116Q C1
I have a stock '14 JKR. I replaced the BFG M/Ts with Wildpeaks in September. The Wildpeaks are so quite you can barely hear them. I have only driven once in snow so far (Veterans Day when we got 8") and had no issues.

I probably won't be going back to Silver Lake again until next summer. We have gone for a weekend the last 3 yrs. Prior to that, I hadn't been since about 1988 when I had a K5 Blazer. The Blazer had Uniroyal Tiger Paw All Season tires on it. It had no trouble going up Test Hill if I hit the bottom of the hill fast enough. I have had issues with the Jeep getting up the same hill with the M/Ts. I need to lower the tire pressure to 12psi and still hit the bottom of the hill at a decent speed. We'll see what happens next year with the new tires. I don't expect there to be a huge difference based on how the Blazer performed with "regular" tires on it.

For the amount of time I spend on mud or sand, any trade-off is well worth it just for the noise.

We'll see what happens this winter.
The following users liked this post:
D-Dub (11-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Is there a stand out in A/T's