Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.

Swapped Rims/Tires - Now TPMS Shows "--"

Old 10-12-2020 | 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Swapped Rims/Tires - Now TPMS Shows "--"

Hi Guys,
N00b here. Wife has a 2016 Wrangler JK Unlimited Sport. Had OEM rims/tires with TPMS sensors (silver rims). She wanted Black Rims and we managed to snag 5 rims/wheels of FB Marketplace for $500.

LISTING:https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2486140405016390/

Unfortunately the owner doesnt know if these tires have sensors in them. He said he just want to a shop, they took these off and put on his new rims and tires.

I went to a local shop and paid them $40 to put the black rim tires on and I drove home. I have put maybe 10-15 miles on the black rims since install and the Tire Pressure display shows "- -" for all four tires.

Are their any tools I can buy (not crazy expensive) or places I can do to confirm these black rim tires have sensors AND get those sensors connected to the jeep?

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2020 | 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

You are able to see the TMPS when tires are removed, did the shop even inspect the new wheels for sensors? Looking at the FB post, you bought wheels and tires combo?
Do you know what year the Wrangler the new wheels came off of? I believe early model JK's had a different frequency single for the TMPS.
Old 10-13-2020 | 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I got some more info (not a lot) since my OP. I have been unable to 100% confirm the black rim tires have TPMS because i bought the rims and tires together AND The seller for some reason cant confirm or deny if there are sensors.

I was told the Black Rims/Tires came off a 2017 wrangler. My wife has a 2016. I believe the TPMS on both should be the 433 frequency.

What I HOPE is the black Rim TPMS 1) exists - the valve stems look VERY similar to the ones I took off the 2016 wrangler (silver ones). 2) the Black Rims are likely programmed to the 2017 wrangler VIN and I would need to find a friendly shop or the right TPMS tool so reactivate the black rim TPMS sensors and program them to the 2016 wrangler.
Old 10-13-2020 | 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

The shop that installed doesn't have a TPMS Tool I assume?
Old 10-13-2020 | 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Nah. I just went to this little hole in the wall place near my wife's work that put them on for me for $40. I probably need to get to a Mieneke or Discount Tire and see if they would scan for the TPMS sensors. I called around yesterday and they were all saying $200 which i thought was just insanity. Maybe I wasnt explaining what I need correctly.
Old 10-13-2020 | 09:37 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

It sounds like you may not have sensors in the tires, your Jeep auto relearns the sensors but it sometimes takes up to 30 minutes of driving. If you have a local Discount Tire store near you they have the scanner tools to check to make sure there are sensors and that they are working as well as compatible to your Jeep.
The following users liked this post:
Dirt Hammer (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020 | 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah it seems that I have to go to a Discount Tire and confirm

1) the black rims have sensors
2) the sensors work
3) they can be programmed to my 2016 Wrangler

If the answer is NO to any of the above then I have to take the sensors out of the Silver Rim Tires and put into the Black Rim Tires which is probably going to set me back another $200. UGH.
Old 10-13-2020 | 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Moving the sensors over is EASY if the stems are correct. It's just a small torx screw holding the sensor to the stem. You should expect to be around $12-15 per wheel unless they upsell you on a TPMS rebuild kit (new rubber to ensure a good seal).
Old 10-13-2020 | 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

If the Black Rims dont have sensors at all how easy is it for me to remove the sensors from the Silver rims myself? then just take those to a shop to put into the black rims?

Also, IF the Black Rims have sensors already (hopefully) cant i just get those connected to the jeep?
Old 10-13-2020 | 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

To remove or install the sensors, you need to break the bead from the wheel, and unscrew the torx setscrew. To install it's basically the reverse. If the new wheels had a sensor from a 2017, your 2016 would have picked them up. The new wheels don't have the sensor in them, and the person you bought them from just doesn't want to confirm as they probably don't want you coming back saying you want some money back from the deal.
Either take your 2016 wheels to Discount Tire and have them swap them into your new wheels, or buy new ones and have them install them.

Quick Reply: Swapped Rims/Tires - Now TPMS Shows "--"