Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show your 35's!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aaron97
Lift went in this past weekend, tires went on today.

3" Rancho Trail Kit. Goodyear Wrangler MTR+K (35x12.50R17).

Hey Aaron- which spare tire carrier are you using here?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Here you GO!

Here's my setup. Then again, damn 35s!! Wait until I put this baby under the hood....hehe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	342434   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	342435   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	342436   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo8.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	342437  
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrisd0729
Hey Aaron- which spare tire carrier are you using here?
Right now i got the Rugged Ridge spacer. Its not recommended for anything over 33", But really, it has nothing to do with size, its all about the weight. Either way, I am going to save up for a set of bumpers and a quality carrier.

After that, its time for a Ripp Charger and then I'll be done. I figure with a Ripp & 4.10s, there wont be a need re-gear.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

08 rescue green

Name:	image-4040786141.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	342739  
Old 07-19-2012, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Question for you guys running the 35's. I am planning on a build in the next two weeks. I am doing the Teraflex 3" lift, adjustable flex arms, and track bar. My question is once I place the 35's on there will I be ok without doing sleeves and gussets. I have a 2011 Sahara Unlimited. I am not planning on doing any hard wheeling right of the back.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icerk
Question for you guys running the 35's. I am planning on a build in the next two weeks. I am doing the Teraflex 3" lift, adjustable flex arms, and track bar. My question is once I place the 35's on there will I be ok without doing sleeves and gussets. I have a 2011 Sahara Unlimited. I am not planning on doing any hard wheeling right of the back.
I've been running 35's for about 4 years now on my 2 dr X and I haven't sleeved anything or added any gussets. When going with 35's there's a couple more things you'll want to plan for though.

Ball joints - Your ball joints are going to fail. No matter how easy you drive it, the OEM ball joints aren't going to handle the weight of the heavier tires. Wait until they're starting to go and replace them with something better like the Syn**** or Dynatrac ball joints. If you wait too long though, you'll start to get death wobble, which is dangerous and you should immediately look at the ball joints for any play as they are a likely cause of it.

Bump Steer - You're probably going to have a bit of bump steer from the changes to your steering geometry that comes with lifting a vehicle. I'm currently still experiencing this and am thinking about going with the Evo drag link flip kit to correct some of that angle, but as I have not purchased or installed it yet, I can't comment on how well it corrects the steering. This is different than death wobble though, as it will only happen when your front end contacts a bump in the road and it will basically give you a little left/right swing for a second and then correct and your ESP will start going off.

Now, given all this info, I have the Full Traction 3" eco lift on my Jeep, and I've swapped the rear driveshaft out for a double cardan driveshaft to correct some of the angle there, but in the 4 doors, I think you'll be fine with the stock driveshaft on a 3" lift kit. But I will say, I've run the Rubicon Trail 3 times from start to finish on my 3" lift and 35's and have had no need to gusset or sleeve anything. I drive with care and precision and take my time on the rocks, and if you're careful, your D30 front is pretty strong and I think you'll be fine. If you're more like my buddy Bryan and love the skinny pedal too much, you're going to need to sleeve/gusset that D30 or upgrade to something stronger.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vgullotta

I've been running 35's for about 4 years now on my 2 dr X and I haven't sleeved anything or added any gussets. When going with 35's there's a couple more things you'll want to plan for though.

Ball joints - Your ball joints are going to fail. No matter how easy you drive it, the OEM ball joints aren't going to handle the weight of the heavier tires. Wait until they're starting to go and replace them with something better like the Syn**** or Dynatrac ball joints. If you wait too long though, you'll start to get death wobble, which is dangerous and you should immediately look at the ball joints for any play as they are a likely cause of it.

Bump Steer - You're probably going to have a bit of bump steer from the changes to your steering geometry that comes with lifting a vehicle. I'm currently still experiencing this and am thinking about going with the Evo drag link flip kit to correct some of that angle, but as I have not purchased or installed it yet, I can't comment on how well it corrects the steering. This is different than death wobble though, as it will only happen when your front end contacts a bump in the road and it will basically give you a little left/right swing for a second and then correct and your ESP will start going off.

Now, given all this info, I have the Full Traction 3" eco lift on my Jeep, and I've swapped the rear driveshaft out for a double cardan driveshaft to correct some of the angle there, but in the 4 doors, I think you'll be fine with the stock driveshaft on a 3" lift kit. But I will say, I've run the Rubicon Trail 3 times from start to finish on my 3" lift and 35's and have had no need to gusset or sleeve anything. I drive with care and precision and take my time on the rocks, and if you're careful, your D30 front is pretty strong and I think you'll be fine. If you're more like my buddy Bryan and love the skinny pedal too much, you're going to need to sleeve/gusset that D30 or upgrade to something stronger.
Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to joining the club..
Old 07-19-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

finally
Old 07-19-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

2.5 rc on Kelly safari tsr

Name:	image-937106458.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	99.6 KB