Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What M/T tire, 255/75R17
Firestone Destination MT2
16.67%
Cooper STT Pro
33.33%
BFG T/A KM3
50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Replacement M/T tires in 255/75/17

Old 02-08-2020, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement M/T tires in 255/75/17

I am looking at replacement tires for my Willys edition JK. I want to stay with a tire similar to stock(BFG M/T KM - LT Load C) in stock size 255/75R17. I like the stock tires but they could be better in the rain. They are discontinued anyway and the newer M/T tires are mostly siped for rain. I have narrowed it down to 3 tires:
Cooper STT Pro, Firestone Destination M/T2 and BFG T/A KM3. I am leaning towards either the Cooper STT Pro and the Firestone Destination MT2
Which tires should I get?
Old 02-09-2020, 04:13 AM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my Nitto Trailgraplers. That's all I have to say about that
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo164.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	677489
The following users liked this post:
Quackaddict620 (03-04-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

Those Nittos look good too. I didn't think they made them in the stock size - On their website it doesn't list them when I search by vehicle.
However, it looks like they do make them when I search for the tire size - I'll check with my tire shop.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:33 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

I had a set of Cooper sst 33x12.50 on an old Chevrolet truck, they looked good, but I got stuck on flat ground more with those tires than I did with just street tires, they were loud, and a hard compound rubber that didn't get any traction if there was a light dew in the ground, but on the other hand, I got almost 60 k miles out of them, seems like if you get a set of tires you don't like, they last a great long time
Old 02-10-2020, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dat
I had a set of Cooper sst 33x12.50 on an old Chevrolet truck, they looked good, but I got stuck on flat ground more with those tires than I did with just street tires, they were loud, and a hard compound rubber that didn't get any traction if there was a light dew in the ground, but on the other hand, I got almost 60 k miles out of them, seems like if you get a set of tires you don't like, they last a great long time
I’m surprised that they didnt grip well, the tread pattern looks really aggressive. Then again there are a lot of other factors for offroad grip and wet grip.
Did you have the ST Maxx or STT pro?
Old 02-11-2020, 11:13 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Actually it was an older type, just the mud stt, which I thought was what was listed, then I looked at the pro and max and saw it was a different tire all together, the newer coopers like the stt pro may be better, the older stt had good looking lugs, but once they were wet, they slipped, very poor wet traction.
i should have read better and I wouldn't have written about the older tire
Old 02-11-2020, 11:54 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyMark
I am looking at replacement tires for my Willys edition JK. I want to stay with a tire similar to stock(BFG M/T KM - LT Load C) in stock size 255/75R17. I like the stock tires but they could be better in the rain. They are discontinued anyway and the newer M/T tires are mostly siped for rain. I have narrowed it down to 3 tires:
Cooper STT Pro, Firestone Destination M/T2 and BFG T/A KM3. I am leaning towards either the Cooper STT Pro and the Firestone Destination MT2
Which tires should I get?
Happy Tuesday!

Just to toss a thought your way, tires are a product of compromise, no tire can deliver perfection in every performance attribute. M/T's are historically not very good on wet pavement because the extremely large and separated tread blocks that make them great in the mud, makes them not so great for wet traction.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:53 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Just a side note, I was talking about wet traction as being off road, wet grass, wet dirt, light mud, they were the worst mud tires I've ever had on a vehicle, hopefully they have improved on the off road part
Old 02-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dat
Actually it was an older type, just the mud stt, which I thought was what was listed, then I looked at the pro and max and saw it was a different tire all together, the newer coopers like the stt pro may be better, the older stt had good looking lugs, but once they were wet, they slipped, very poor wet traction.
i should have read better and I wouldn't have written about the older tire
Originally Posted by Dat
Just a side note, I was talking about wet traction as being off road, wet grass, wet dirt, light mud, they were the worst mud tires I've ever had on a vehicle, hopefully they have improved on the off road part
Ah,

Yea having a tire that does not get good traction in the conditions it was designed for can be frustrating. Although from what we are seeing the STT pro and STT max are performing wonderfully. If you are going to be on the street a good amount, than the Maxx would be the way to go but if you are looking for maximum off road traction the STT Pro should certainly serve your purposes.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you want more siping for rain then you'll really want to go with a meaty all terrain tire. There are numerous but limiting yourself to the 255/70-17 will limit what's available. You could also look at 265/70-17's to have a very similar sized tire with potentially more options and minimal impact on fuel economy for a daily driver.

Of your three options, I'd also heavily scrutinize the weight on them as that can kill the fun of a tire.

Quick Reply: Replacement M/T tires in 255/75/17