Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tire Suggestions - First time buying Jeep tires

Old 08-19-2024, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tire Suggestions - First time buying Jeep tires

Hi everyone,

I have come here many times for some general maintenance advice, tips and the occasional panic attack when a light comes on but this time I need some sound advice. I bought my 2011 JK about 4 years ago, when I got it, it had newish 285/55R20 Mickey Thompson Baja All Terrain tires but now they need replacing. I'm looking for suggestions on new tires that won't break my bank and keep me safe in snow and rain. It's my daily driver and I do go mudding occasionally in the fall, but I just don't think I need MT Baja's since I don't go off roading too much. I do live in the Northeast with snow and rain.

Thanks for reading and thanks for all the previous posts I've read that have helped me!
Old 08-20-2024, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 400 Likes on 375 Posts

Welcome to JK Forum. see you have 20s on your ride. I'll start the Opinions.. 1 get an All Terrain with the Three Peak Rating which signifies that the tire should perform in all weather including Snow. Shop on line for pricing and then get with your shop that will install.. Look in the Marketplace - Vendors for listing of supporting companies.
The following users liked this post:
JimWPB (09-02-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the advice!
Old 09-03-2024, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no experience with 20 in rims, however have used Yokohamas, Pirellis, Dunlops, BFGs, Toyos, Bridgestones, and Michelins on various vehicles including the JK. For general use I recommend the Toyos (which we have on our current vehicle) however we have never used them in snow. The JK came with LTXs and initially I was unimpressed and planned to change when they wore out, however found that for 70% highway/30% unsurfaced they performed well (and did see snow).

Quick Reply: New Tire Suggestions - First time buying Jeep tires