Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help... Fuel Vector or Jeep Mopar Beadlock wheels

Old 04-14-2020, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help... Fuel Vector or Jeep Mopar Beadlock wheels

Hi everyone,

Need help on deciding wheels for my JK with 35s on a 2 inch mopar lift.

I recently was interested in the fuel vector wheels until I saw the mopar beadlock wheels. As of right now I’m leaning towards the mopar wheels however I’m nervous that I won’t find a place that would mount the wheels because of the beadlock feature.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

What size tire are you running, and what is the backspace on each wheel. If I recall, those Mopar wheels have a larger backspace than a lot of beadlocks.

In regard to beadlocks, you will be mounting them yourself. It's not difficult but a little time consuming when doing 4 or 5. Most shops will not touch them. If you're lucky, you can find a mom and pop shop that will balance them for you, otherwise you 1) cross your fingers and hope they don't need balanced, or 2) deal with the alternatives. Or, you roll in to a tire place and hope they think they're just fake beadlocks.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The real question should be what you intend to do with the fancy beadlock wheels. That will lead to discussion on the hardware used and a keen eye will notice that Mopar beadlocks leave the head exposed to damage. If you're on the street, that's fine. Accidentally bump it on a rock and you'll be having a grand time trying to fix it. I thought I wouldn't scrape my wheels and hardware either.....until it happened.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
What size tire are you running, and what is the backspace on each wheel. If I recall, those Mopar wheels have a larger backspace than a lot of beadlocks.

In regard to beadlocks, you will be mounting them yourself. It's not difficult but a little time consuming when doing 4 or 5. Most shops will not touch them. If you're lucky, you can find a mom and pop shop that will balance them for you, otherwise you 1) cross your fingers and hope they don't need balanced, or 2) deal with the alternatives. Or, you roll in to a tire place and hope they think they're just fake beadlocks.
I will be running a LT315/70R17 BFGOODRICH A/T KO2 with a backspace of 4.4" (12MM offset).
Old 04-14-2020, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The real question should be what you intend to do with the fancy beadlock wheels. That will lead to discussion on the hardware used and a keen eye will notice that Mopar beadlocks leave the head exposed to damage. If you're on the street, that's fine. Accidentally bump it on a rock and you'll be having a grand time trying to fix it. I thought I wouldn't scrape my wheels and hardware either.....until it happened.
I actually never off-road before lol but this would be for street use only.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The Mopar beadlock is a good looking wheel, but if you're not getting any function out of it at all, I don't think the increased headache is worth it. On a DD, you never know when you're gonna need to roll in to a tire store for some random thing. There are just a lot of things to consider. Beadlocks can be a hassle even when you are getting full functional use out of em.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

So then go with the Mopar and mount them as non-beadlock. You'll have the looks without the maintenance and potential headache of beadlocks. They're a good looking wheel, almost got a set myself before I saw the price to make them into a beadlock wheel.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

So then go with the Mopar and mount them as non-beadlock.
Those can be mounted both ways? dang, in that case yes, go for the Mopars.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

So then go with the Mopar and mount them as non-beadlock. You'll have the looks without the maintenance and potential headache of beadlocks. They're a good looking wheel, almost got a set myself before I saw the price to make them into a beadlock wheel.
oh I never knew I can mount them as a non-beadlock wheel. That should pretty much help with my decision. Really appreciate it!
Old 04-14-2020, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Yeah, that was something I noticed when I saw the wheels were relatively cheaper than the competition. You've got to buy the wheel and then add the beadlock kit to it. They can be run normal though without issue. Again, if it's just for looks then that's what I'd do. I think AEV offers a similar wheel, but I may be wrong.

Quick Reply: Need help... Fuel Vector or Jeep Mopar Beadlock wheels