Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice for Tire Upgrade on JKU

Old 05-16-2024, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice for Tire Upgrade on JKU

Looking to finally make the jump to bigger tires + 2.5-inch lift on my 2018 JKU Sport. I have searched forums and seen some mixed opinions so I wanted to make a specific post. I am a relatively young Jeep owner so it has taken me a while to save up for this, and I want to get as much information as possible to keep everything in line with my budget.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Potential setup:

- Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T tires; 315 70 R17; typically a 35 but listed as a 34-inch tire in this case

- Mammoth 17x9 wheels with 4.764-inch backspacing and -6mm offset

- Teraflex 2.5-inch suspension lift with 9550 shocks

1. Rubbing:

Besides trimming or removing the air dam, I'm hoping to avoid any rubbing without the use of wheel spacers. I've seen mixed reviews on whether this setup would require additional modifications to accommodate.

2. Rear Tire:

I have also seen a lot of different opinions on what will be needed to fit the larger spare tire on the rear. Is it likely I will need an entire new holder, just a rear tire spacer, or nothing at all at least initially? Also if I went with just the spacer, would a rear brake light extension also be needed?

I am currently looking at the Teraflex Spare Tire and Third Brake Light Extension Bracket Kit or Teraflex Spare Tire Extension Bracket, but any other recommendations here would be appreciated.

3. Breaks & regearing:

Finally, for breaks and regearing, I know this might be the sort of thing I test out driving on the road after I do the mods. But if anyone has any strong opinions in this area please feel free to share.

For potential brake upgrades for the bigger tires, I am looking at the DYNATRAC PROGRIP BRAKE UPGRADE SYSTEM or POWER STOP AUTO SPECIALTY OE REPLACEMENT BRAKE KIT. But this along with regearing might be an area I try and postpone to stay aligned with my budget.

Thanks again for any input!
Old 05-16-2024, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 380 Likes on 355 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. With the backspacing on the wheels, 35s which never measure out to 35 should not rub. IMO won;t need spacers.. might shim the turn stops. Rear wheel opening, Yes Trimming in the front pinch weld will most likely be required. Some good instructions with multiple Lift company instruction. Brakes .. I chose a different route.. Crown Big Brake Kit for the Fronts and kept the rears Stock; check it out available from Quadratec. I'd drive it months before re-gear.. see how it performs to your standards and use. Re-Gear is expensive.
The following users liked this post:
twoody (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

Welcome. I can comment on two.
  • The sopare tire bracket can be extended up with an aftermarket extension. I believe the MT tires are still about 35" measured diameter without the weight of the Jeep on them as I have true ,easured 34" Toyo ATs on mine and the spare rubs on the bumper indent but works ok.
  • For brakes I would try a set of carbon fiber pads. They grab pretty good. Son used them on his Jeep when he went to 35's and no complaints. Also if you look into it you can build big brakes on a budget using other vehicle parts like RAM stuff I think. Anyway someone else will chime in here. My rear pads wear quicker than front so would assume you could get much better brakes by upgrading the front only if you go larger diameter disc. Also be aware of which wheels you buy when going larger brakes as some do not have the clearance.
The following users liked this post:
twoody (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Appreciate the input and break recommendation!
Old 06-27-2024, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

If you plan to use your tow hitch at all, you will want to consider the amount of space that an oversized spare leaves above the top of the ball. Carrying the spare higher than normal may be necessary to allow room for the trailer coupler to get on & off the hitch ball.

Quick Reply: Need Advice for Tire Upgrade on JKU