Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Load Range C or E on a stock JKU?

Old 02-06-2020, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Load Range C or E on a stock JKU?

Looking for a new set of tires and need some insight on which option is the best for my Jeep.
Fully stock 2017 JKU Sport S. Everyday driver, lots of highway miles & Drive on the beach a lot in season

I thought i had my mind set on the BFG KO2s in 275/70/r17 but noticed they only come in Load Range E. I know this can make the ride a lot more stiff on road.
the 285/70/r17s do come in load range C though.
Can I go with that size tire, Without lift or spacers with no rubbing/other issues?

I was also looking at the falken wildpeak at3ws 285/70r17 in a load range C or D.

which is best? Anyone running any of these set ups?

Old 02-06-2020, 02:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

You know the consequence of an E rated tire, and almost everyone is going to tell you to stay away from it. C would be ideal, D is probably livable if you just loved the tire and had no other option. All of this is very subjective though. Years ago when I had C rated 35s, the sidewalls were just a bit too soft for my wheeling with non-beadlocks. In very sidewall strenuous situations, I'd develope small leaks, but we're talking aired down to 11psi or so and really squishing that sidewall. I've had D rated 37s and E rated 37s. I'm ok with a bit rougher ride for my function. Most people are going to be happier with a C rated tire.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes I learned the hard way about E loads. Daily driver go for C loads. The E loads are brutal for an unweighted down 2 door JK.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air down

While I to have experienced the limit placed on selection and weight ratings, the Mfgr’s are not in it for your comfort but their bottom line. I just run them with less air. Also due to the extra ply/ material improvements in the wall construction it is a trade off thus limiting your options. The Patagonia/ Milestar is on my radar at the moment and seems to have some tracks
Old 02-07-2020, 06:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

That shit tire is popular because it is cheap and a hot chick on facebook pushes them so they can get them for free.

A C rated tire is also lighter than an E rated. Better feel economy for a mainly road driven jeep.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal17Sport
Looking for a new set of tires and need some insight on which option is the best for my Jeep.
Fully stock 2017 JKU Sport S. Everyday driver, lots of highway miles & Drive on the beach a lot in season

I thought i had my mind set on the BFG KO2s in 275/70/r17 but noticed they only come in Load Range E. I know this can make the ride a lot more stiff on road.
the 285/70/r17s do come in load range C though.
Can I go with that size tire, Without lift or spacers with no rubbing/other issues?

I was also looking at the falken wildpeak at3ws 285/70r17 in a load range C or D.

which is best? Anyone running any of these set ups?
I can't think of any benefits of running anyting heavier than a standard load Tire considering your setup and intended use.

Quick Reply: Load Range C or E on a stock JKU?