Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me spend my $$$ on wheels/tires please

Old 12-23-2016, 02:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say the same thing as everyone else on 17's vs 15's due to bigger brakes, TREs, ect.

But also, you mentioned beadlocks. In our world there are a number of solid options but I don't think any of them come in 15, but I may be wrong on this. If you are looking for suggestions on beadlocks the usual choices people goto are, ATX slabs, ATX Chamber 2, Trail Ready, Walker Evans, KMC Machete, Method Racing, or Spyderlocks.

There are other options too, like military beadlocks, but these are the most popular.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:29 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry to highjack your thread but i had a related question.
Which diameter wheel offers the most economical tire selection?
It was suggested to me to move away from 18" wheels when i go to replace my stockers.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Toyo 35/12.5-17 R/T's ride extremely well and make a great DD tire that can do trails like the Rubicon and Dusty Ershim with no problem.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default Wheel Size

Originally Posted by dbo342000
Sorry to highjack your thread but i had a related question.
Which diameter wheel offers the most economical tire selection?
It was suggested to me to move away from 18" wheels when i go to replace my stockers.
From an economics and size of tire offering, i would look at 17s. There are a ton more tire choices and sizes. I went with 18s because they paired with the tire i wanted to run. There are 18" options, but they cost more and arguably don't wheel as well.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love my 16s!!! Best of both worlds. I have confirmed MTRs and Cooper SST Pro's offer 16s in a roughly 35" tire. I have the MTRs now. They are "squishier" than were my stock 17" BFG KMs, especially when aired down. Something I'm still trying to get used to. I can only imagine 15s would be worse. I'm going Cooper next.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1334469660.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	532.7 KB
ID:	663355  
Old 12-24-2016, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Looks like I'll stick with 17's.

Now to keep reading and find just the right package...
Old 12-24-2016, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

I've run 15's for 48,000 miles. Ran km2's for 47,000 miles, just purchased micky Thompson mtzp3's. I got 4 mtzp3's for $782. Sold my km2's for $300. Bought a spare mtzp3 for $194. So 5 new mtzp3's for less than $700 shipped to the house. This is why I run 15's. Plus $50 each wheel, that way when I smash one into a rock I just laugh it off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20161224_214021.png
Views:	158
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	663423
Old 12-25-2016, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gburkett
I've run 15's for 48,000 miles. Ran km2's for 47,000 miles, just purchased micky Thompson mtzp3's. I got 4 mtzp3's for $782. Sold my km2's for $300. Bought a spare mtzp3 for $194. So 5 new mtzp3's for less than $700 shipped to the house. This is why I run 15's. Plus $50 each wheel, that way when I smash one into a rock I just laugh it off.

Attachment 663423
I must say that the cost of 15"ers is certainly tempting me in that direction. But other than that, it looks like there are so many more advantages to going with a larger diameter wheel. Luckily for me I'm retired and my wife makes killer $$$ at her job, so while the cost of things is always a factor, I don't have to make too many decisions with the cost as factor-1. That said, saving easily a thousand bucks by going with 15" wheels is nothing to scoff at. Mental wheels again grinding...
Old 12-25-2016, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by any4xx
I must say that the cost of 15"ers is certainly tempting me in that direction. But other than that, it looks like there are so many more advantages to going with a larger diameter wheel. Luckily for me I'm retired and my wife makes killer $$$ at her job, so while the cost of things is always a factor, I don't have to make too many decisions with the cost as factor-1. That said, saving easily a thousand bucks by going with 15" wheels is nothing to scoff at. Mental wheels again grinding...
I run 15's and am here to tell you that they are not right for you.

Not being rash, but being honest. The ride on road with 15" wheels and 35's is downright unpredictable sometimes, especially highway. Keeping them balanced? Lol...mine have never been balanced enough to go over 75 mph and not shake. This could be attributed to my MTR/K's, but regardless they are a PITA to keep balanced. The tires are cheaper, and so are the wheels...but it's really not worth the headache if it's your DD and not your weekend toy.

Beadlocks are also a little overzealous unless you plan on wheeling it hard. You'll probably have to mount them yourself unless you want to shell out big bucks to a reputable off-road shop to have them mount them for you. Most tire shops won't touch them, no exceptions. You'll also want to check the bolts on them every once in a while to make sure none of them worked loose.

I know you mentioned that money is not much of factor, but keep in mind beadlocks are, at the minimum, going to cost you $2k alone. You could just buy a set of 17's for now, and invest that money elsewhere (lift, proper geometry, skids, etc...) and just buy the beadlocks down the road if you still want them or decide you need them.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoraBora
I run 15's and am here to tell you that they are not right for you.

Not being rash, but being honest. The ride on road with 15" wheels and 35's is downright unpredictable sometimes, especially highway. Keeping them balanced? Lol...mine have never been balanced enough to go over 75 mph and not shake. This could be attributed to my MTR/K's, but regardless they are a PITA to keep balanced. The tires are cheaper, and so are the wheels...but it's really not worth the headache if it's your DD and not your weekend toy.

Kind of what I was worried about. I don't want squishy sidewalks that may end up forcing me to boing my way through any maneuvers at speed.

Beadlocks are also a little overzealous unless you plan on wheeling it hard. You'll probably have to mount them yourself unless you want to shell out big bucks to a reputable off-road shop to have them mount them for you. Most tire shops won't touch them, no exceptions. You'll also want to check the bolts on them every once in a while to make sure none of them worked loose.

Honestly, one of the attractions to me is being able to mount them myself. Back in the day I owned a real tire machine and it kills me to have to pay someone to mount tires these days.

I know you mentioned that money is not much of factor, but keep in mind beadlocks are, at the minimum, going to cost you $2k alone. You could just buy a set of 17's for now, and invest that money elsewhere (lift, proper geometry, skids, etc...) and just buy the beadlocks down the road if you still want them or decide you need them.

Don't mind the price. And I certainly don't NEED them. But they sure are cool. ;-)

Quick Reply: Help me spend my $$$ on wheels/tires please