Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing tire & wheel size

Old 11-08-2019, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing tire & wheel size

I have a 2017 jkl and I am searching for wheels that would set the tires outward slightly 1-1.5 inches from stock. I have teraflex leveling kit and hope to go up to 33 inch tires. I think the -12 back space is what I'm describing. My intentions are not to widen the tires out so far as to throw dirt and mud up the sides of the jeep. Is that correct?
Old 11-09-2019, 07:38 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi, Skidster-

Picking out new wheels is definitely one of the favorite upgrades for most as you're able to customize the overall look of your rig to your liking.

As far as fitment goes, -12 is likely the offset which is sometimes confused with backspace. You can read more about the offset and back space relationship below.

Understanding Wheel Offset & Backspace Discount Tire

If you want the new wheels to sit 1 to 1.5-inches further out over stock then you may want to look for a wheel that is 8 to 8.5-inches wide with an offset around +25mm, this should keep the tire/wheel assembly within the fenders.

Assuming you're after 17-inch, Method offers their MR313 in 17x8.5 with a +25mm offset and this wheel will sit just over 1.25-inches further outwards when compared to where to the stock wheels sit now.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 11-12-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

if you want 33's to be 1.5" out from stock go with some Falken 255/80-17 on stock rims with 1.5" teraflex spacers.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Matt,
I have a stock 2017 with stock wheels and tires but the tires are about to be replaced and searching to move up in tire size and wheels is confusing. The video link did help. Thanks. I have installed a teraflex leveling kit and hope to move up to around a 33 inch tire. I believe stock Wrangler tires are approximately 32 inches. My plan is to hopefully move the tires slightly outward to avoid any rubbing issues and change appearance of my JKU. I wish your shop was closer. I live in central West Virginia.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
Hi, Skidster-

Picking out new wheels is definitely one of the favorite upgrades for most as you're able to customize the overall look of your rig to your liking.

As far as fitment goes, -12 is likely the offset which is sometimes confused with backspace. You can read more about the offset and back space relationship below.

Understanding Wheel Offset & Backspace Discount Tire

If you want the new wheels to sit 1 to 1.5-inches further out over stock then you should look for a wheel that is 8 to 8.5-inches wide with an offset around +25mm, this should keep the tire/wheel assembly within the fenders.

Assuming you're after 17-inch, Method offers their MR313 in 17x8.5 with a +25mm offset and this wheel will sit just over 1.25-inches further outwards when compared to where to the stock wheels sit now.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidster
Thanks Matt,
I have a stock 2017 with stock wheels and tires but the tires are about to be replaced and searching to move up in tire size and wheels is confusing. The video link did help. Thanks. I have installed a teraflex leveling kit and hope to move up to around a 33 inch tire. I believe stock Wrangler tires are approximately 32 inches. My plan is to hopefully move the tires slightly outward to avoid any rubbing issues and change appearance of my JKU. I wish your shop was closer. I live in central West Virginia.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Hi, Jeff-

I think this may have been meant for Private Message - PM coming your way

Quick Reply: changing tire & wheel size