Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back in the saddle again!

Old 05-28-2018, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the saddle again!

Hey all, I was a member of this forum a few years back but I ended up selling my jeep because I needed a truck for work. Well I no longer need it and Im back in a JKU! Anyway I love it but I already want to start doing stuff to it and I had a few questions, if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it. The first is the obligatory can I fit 35's. I know there's a sticky and a million threads, but I didn't see my exact question on there so here goes: can I fit 35s with a leveling kit, stock 18in wheels and the washer trick if I don't plan on disconnecting? If I need to cut the fenders could I just cut out the guts from the inside? Usually when I see people flexed saying that its rubbing it looks like they aren't really rubbing on the painted part of the fender but the inside liner. My other question is about the factory side steps, does anyone know what the look like without the plastic? I was thinking of taking the plastic off to see if the looked cooler or if I could work on them to make them look cooler. I don't hate the stock step but Im not in love with it either. That's it for now. Im super excited to be back in a jeep! did my first "mod" today (the license plate).
Old 06-02-2018, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Just got done putting the teraflex leveling kit on. Would have been much easier if the bolts weren't so damn hard to get off! the top bolts on the sway bar links I ended up cutting, I just couldn't get them off. Anyway, im real happy with how its sits now, I was surprised what a difference it made. It can be hard to tell from photos. Ill try to post some tomorrow, it got dark too quick tonight.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome back!

First, I see you're from Conway, SC... Carolina Trails Off Road is in that area... pretty great, family friendly club that's very active. One of the JKF moderators (tarpon4me) is the president. Look them up on FB.

Now the tire question. While I've heard of folks fitting 35s with no lift, I'd hazard that those folks are adding bump stop to their rigs as well as a spacer on the wheel. Bump stop for the tire to NOT impact the fender and the spacer so the tire doesn't rub the lower control arm or frame.

Can't answer the step question.
The following users liked this post:
Hatchet Jones (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on getting back into a Jeep! I'll offer up what I know but every setup is a bit different so you never know... I think with the backspacing of stock wheels a 285 width is about the max to avoid rubbing at full lock. I had 285's on my stock Rubicon wheels and still put 2 washers on each steering stop. Spacers would fix that but I'm personally not a fan. I'd get wheels with the proper backspacing. From everything I've read 35's will work with a leveling kit but you must run flat fenders. The other option would be to add bump stop but that would decrease your off-road performance. With stock wheels and no spacers they might (idk) tuck up inside the flares on flex but if you use spacers and push your wheels out they will probably contact your flares. I hope this helps a bit and can save you some aggravation. I'm running 35's now with a 2" spacer lift, flat fenders and wheels with 4.5 backspacing. This setup seems to work great.

The following users liked this post:
Hatchet Jones (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys! I think ill end up going with wheel spacers and just seeing what happens with the fenders. I like the way the flats look, I just don't want to spend to much money all at once and Im not sure I have the steady hand to pull of cutting them nicely. We'll see though, if they end up banged up I can always cut them. When I buy tires do I have to buy 5 or can I get away with 4 and a spare cover? Can I even use a stock size spare with 35s? Is that poor form? Anyway here she is today in the sunshine with the leveling kit on, Im real happy with the extra little bit of height.

Quick Reply: Back in the saddle again!