Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket wheels/tires question

Old 08-30-2017, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
The majority of the advise you're going to get on this forum is going to try to steer you away from 20in rims. Why? Because 20in rims are known to be used more for mall crawlers (looks) and there will be too much hard core rock crawler chest thumping trying to persuade you away from building a mall crawler.

It's your Jeep, so do what you want to it.

A JK Wrangler can fit up to 33in tires without needing a lift on stock wheels which have 6.25" of back spacing. You're looking at mounting 34in tires and have wheels with 5.0" of back spacing. The higher in diameter wheel you go, the more back spacing you will need. In the case of 5.0" vs, 6.25" that is more back spacing so you're already set with those wheels of what you will need. You only need a 1.5" lift at most to accommodate those tires. With the TF budget boost lift you're looking at, that has no impact on the amount of required amount of back space that is needed. The larger (>33in) diameter tires do.

You will be fine if you get the TF budget boost, and some 5x5.5 to 5x5 bolt pattern adapters. That setup will just not be recommended by the offroad chest thumpers because it doesn't fit their hardcore offroad mold because......
A. You're using 20in wheels
B. You're using a puck TF budget boost.

You didn't really say, what your intent was for your rig but the majority of the advise you are getting is based upon steering you towards making it more of an offroad rock crawler. So if that's what you want, then listen to that advise. If not, then don't be scared into thinking you're doing something that's wrong and won't work because that is not the case.

Thanks Rednroll, I very much appreciate your insight! The most off road this Jeep will see is the occasional trip through the grass pastures during hunting season and farming. It will live a pretty tame life as my daily driver. I know that's not what some wanna hear, like you said. We have an old International Scout and a couple Polaris Quads/Utv's if I wanna hit the mud and trails.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It's not about rock crawling as much as it is the ride. Having a skinny sidewall is going to stiffen up the ride in the Jeep as you're losing the ability to soften up the ride by adjusting air pressure. Mine is night and day with 5 lbs of pressure difference and I'm on 40's and 17's. I can run at 25 psi and it's pretty plush with the bumps in the road and such. At 30, it's noticeably stiffer and tracks different in the tracks in the lanes.

The looks part is just an added rub. They're big in Florida where they like to run up and down the beach in Daytona. Everywhere else, it's going to get mall crawler comments, with perhaps a few rap video remarks as well. It's your Jeep. Do as you will. I don't know that you'll be happy when it's done.

Last edited by jordy; 08-31-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

I just went through a very similar situation. It's up to you as to the look you want, but this thread (mine) https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...4s-17s-343511/ will show you the same jeep with 2 different looks, that you might find relevant. If not, sorry for interrupting and good luck - messing with these things is a lot of fun!

the difference is actually more drastic in person, I think.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Danimal77
Thanks Rednroll, I very much appreciate your insight! The most off road this Jeep will see is the occasional trip through the grass pastures during hunting season and farming. It will live a pretty tame life as my daily driver. I know that's not what some wanna hear, like you said. We have an old International Scout and a couple Polaris Quads/Utv's if I wanna hit the mud and trails.
You'll be good then. Don't waste your money on buying tires/wheels that you don't need. Re-use what you have, since you were happy with them on your other vehicle and save your money like you planned.

Let the chest thumpers blow their hot air, telling how they're on 40s which nobody gives a damn or asked about, and telling you how it will ride even after you already have experience riding on those same tires on a similar style vehicle. It's always a fun show. Classic case of SPS on display.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It's funny that in just the last few days there have been probably half a dozen posts in this forum in regards to tire size, sidewall, and PSI, and how they affect ride and performance. Nobody is beating on any chests about one size being better than another. Nobody is talking about rock crawling, or the like. Regardless of purpose, a narrow sidewall isn't ideal for a Jeep setup. Higher pressures and stiffer sidewalls are going to affect the ride.

I've driven lots of trucks and lots of Jeeps, and I've not had any of the 2 that are comparable in the ride. Suspension setup is different between the two, purposes are different, handling, ride, the whole thing, all different.

When you don't have the experience, other than what you search on the internet, you have no choice but to run your mouth about those that actually do. Comedy actually.

Last edited by jordy; 09-02-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:35 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, your comments have been very helpful.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Danimal77
Thanks guys, your comments have been very helpful.
Many are running 20in wheels with Nitto Trail Grapplers on the JK Wrangler. Not my personal cup of tea, but it works if that's what you would like to do. Nitto Trail Grapplers are a nice tire. No use throwing money away.

Thump, Thump, Thump.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels/tires question