Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket wheels/tires question

Old 08-30-2017, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket wheels/tires question

Hi...first post and brand new to the jeep world. Purchased a used 2011 2 door sport 1 week ago. Really like the Jeep so far. Questions about aftermarket wheels and tires.

My previous truck was a 2015 Ram 1500 sport. On that truck I ran XD Monster wheels 20x10 -12 offset/5.03 backspacing and Nitto Terra Grappler 295/60r20 tires. This setup is like new with less than 3k miles. So, I'd love to somehow put these on Jeep. I know the bolt patterns are different, so wheel adapters will be required. Looking at Teraflex budget boost lifts and it says aftermarket wheels with 4.5" of backspacing or less. Am I fighting a loosing battle trying to make this work on the Jeep or does anyone think it can be dine? Will wheel adapters increase or decrease backspacing? My driving is 95% hard road with occasional off road in flat grassy pasture during hunting/farming times.

Thanks for any Imput/advice you might be able to pass along.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

60 series tires on 20" wheels on a Jeep? Don't do it. That's a Florida thing and it looks really dumb.

Not to mention, they don't fit, and trying to "adapt" them is going to be a bigger issue. Sell them and go about it the right way.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That is essentially a 34x12.00-20 tire. If you use a standard 1.5 inch wheel adaptor, it will effectively decrease the backspacing of the wheel. Your 10 inch wide wheels with 5" of BS will basically wind up fitting like a 10" wheel with 3.5" of BS, meaning it will stick out farther. If you like the wide stance and lift the jeep high enough, or trim the flares it can be made to fit. But, it would probably be easier to sell your current setup and buy new ones.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Wandell, that's good info!
Old 08-30-2017, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

As mentioned, I would try and sell the current set also.

But, something similar to these should work just fine, assuming a small lift or trimming whatever is needed. They convert from a 5x5 (jeep JK) pattern to a 5x5.5 (jeep CJ) rim. Find out what your current bolt pattern is and go from there.

Jeep CJ Conversion Adapters
Old 08-30-2017, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
As mentioned, I would try and sell the current set also.

But, something similar to these should work just fine, assuming a small lift or trimming whatever is needed. They convert from a 5x5 (jeep JK) pattern to a 5x5.5 (jeep CJ) rim. Find out what your current bolt pattern is and go from there.

Jeep CJ Conversion Adapters
Yes the wheels I want to adapt to the Wrangler are a 5x5.5 (5x139.7) I'm now looking at the Rubicon Express Sport suspension 3.5 kit as a lift. I may just order the adapters, do the lift and see if the wheels will work. If not, I can then sell them and I'm only out the $$$ for the adapters...which I could probably put and Ebay or craiglist and re-coop some of that money. Thanks for the responses guys!

Last edited by Danimal77; 08-30-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jordy
60 series tires on 20" wheels on a Jeep? Don't do it. That's a Florida thing and it looks really dumb.

Not to mention, they don't fit, and trying to "adapt" them is going to be a bigger issue. Sell them and go about it the right way.
What this guy said ^^ Not to be a dick but most jeepers don't go to 20" wheels unless they are running like 40" tires... and even then the wheels are beadlocks and serve a purpose. Good luck man
Old 08-30-2017, 04:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Danimal77
I'm now looking at the Rubicon Express Sport suspension 3.5 kit as a lift.
Just as a suggestion, do a little more research before pulling the trigger on that size lift. Not really needed for a 34" tire. You could also look at things like Cam Bolts, (that are included with that lift), and the high steer (also included) that would not be needed for a 2.5" lift, and ...

There are two fairly good threads stuck to the top of this Modified area that might be a good place to start. (FAQ's and Thoughts on Lifts). After reading them, I'm sure you'll come up with more questions to ask, to which you'll get a bunch of opinions, and just might find yourself going a different direction...

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-30-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks fellas, appreciate you chiming in!
Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

The majority of the advise you're going to get on this forum is going to try to steer you away from 20in rims. Why? Because 20in rims are known to be used more for mall crawlers (looks) and there will be too much hard core rock crawler chest thumping trying to persuade you away from building a mall crawler.

It's your Jeep, so do what you want to it.

A JK Wrangler can fit up to 33in tires without needing a lift on stock wheels which have 6.25" of back spacing. You're looking at mounting 34in tires and have wheels with 5.0" of back spacing. The higher in diameter wheel you go, the more back spacing you will need. In the case of 5.0" vs, 6.25" that is more back spacing so you're already set with those wheels of what you will need. You only need a 1.5" lift at most to accommodate those tires. Without the lift, you risk rubbing your fender flares with those tires. With the TF budget boost lift you're looking at, that has no impact on the amount of required amount of back space that is needed. The larger (>33in) diameter and wider 11.6in tires do.

You will be fine if you get the TF budget boost, and some 5x5.5 to 5x5 bolt pattern adapters. That setup will just not be recommended by the offroad chest thumpers because it doesn't fit their hardcore offroad mold because......
A. You're using 20in wheels
B. You're using a puck TF budget boost.

You didn't really say, what your intent was for your rig but the majority of the advise you are getting is based upon steering you towards making it more of an offroad rock crawler. So if that's what you want, then listen to that advise. If not, then don't be scared into thinking you're doing something that's wrong and won't work because that is not the case.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-30-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels/tires question