Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on affordable shock upgrade

Old 07-13-2024, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on affordable shock upgrade

I'm looking for recommendations on an affordable (not cheap) option for replacing/upgrading the shocks on my 2015 JKU Sahara. At 135k miles, the old ones are looking rusty and worn. Can shocks provide a slight lift lift (maybe 1- 2"). I see the Fox brand for around $450-$500 and others (e.g., rancho) for slightly under $300. I rarely go off road but may do some more in the future (nothing hardcore). I have Nitto Ridge Grappler tire. My Sahara is blue. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2024, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Take a look at the Bilstein 5100's. They are a great all around shock at a good price.
Old 07-13-2024, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 393 Likes on 368 Posts

I responded to your other post.. Given the info in your post, I'd look for OEM take offs .. check local Jeep upfitter shops./ Lift installers for OEM take offs..
Old 07-14-2024, 05:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,901 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by dpsteelers58
Can shocks provide a slight lift lift (maybe 1- 2").
You're not going to find a shock that is going to lift the vehicle over and above what the springs are doing IMO. The Bilsteins are a popular choice, and a good value for the money. They are gas-charged so they can be a little stiff for some, but it's a good shock. They are very similar to Fox 2.0 shocks IMO. I'd probably go with those or a nice set of Ranchos. I don't think the Fox shocks are worth the extra money for what you need.our

If you want just a bit of a boost (since asking if shocks could do it), you could always slide a 1" spacer on top of your springs. If you think you might do that, factor that into whatever shocks you decide to buy otherwise you'll lose a bit of travel in your shock.

I also can't disagree with the idea of finding a cheap set of factory take-offs....it's just that those are harder and harder to find these days the further away from the JK production we get. Back in the day you could get a full set of practically new shocks for next to nothing.

Quick Reply: Advice on affordable shock upgrade