Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.

42s vs 40s

Old 10-21-2024 | 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default 42s vs 40s

Currently running 40x15.50R20 Toyo M/T’s. I daily drive the Jeep and wheel it fairly hard. I live in the Colorado mountains. Love the Toyos but will probably need new tires next year and my options are fairly limited with 20” wheels. I was considering going with the 42x13.50R20 Baja Boss’s. I really like the Mickey’s. They are also a tad lighter than my current Toyos and cheaper.

I’m on a 6” Teraflex Long arm kit and UD60’s. Custom Raceline Beadlocks I believe 20x11. I do not rub off-road flexed with the 40x15.5s currently.

If anyone has made a similar switch, my question is do you think the narrower 42 would cause significant clearancing issues vs a Wide 40x15.50? Gaining 2” height on the tire but also loosing 2” width.

I’ll attach a few pics of the Jeeps current stance.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2024 | 06:31 AM
JK Newbie
Vet Army

Your WAY beyond anything I’ll ever do, but this is what I’d do, go here enter current and desired tire / wheel size and see how much growth you get, assuming it even will calculate tires tgat big of course, then go out and get to full articulation and measure clearance, turn the wheels too of course and see.
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Otherwise measure what you have and post what clearance you have then people smarter than me can tell you.

I don’t think anyone can tell by a picture for sure, but my gut says you will be fine and I think unless you do soupy mud that thinner is likely better too. In truth I don’t have experience with tires that big on a Jeep myself, biggest I ran on a truck was 38.5”s over 40 years ago.

Quick Reply: 42s vs 40s