Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35 vs 33

Old 12-09-2021, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35x11.5" Nitto Grappler Tires causing handling issues

Hey there - new to the forum so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. I have a 2013 JK rubicon 2 dr. Recently put a 3.5" AEV lift on it. Was running 33" Duratracs on the stock 17" wheels with 1.5" G2 spacers that came with the lift. With the 33's jeep ran great at higher highway speeds and handled well at all speeds. I decided I didn't like the look of the 33's (too small) so I upgraded to 35x11.5 Nitto Grapplers. Right away I noticed that at highway speeds when I slightly jerk the wheel, the back end feels very unstable. Talked with local shop that did the lift and they think its the tires causing it. Another buddy said to look at the scrub radius to see if wheel/tire combo is too far away from mfg specs. Wanted to see if anyone else has run into this. I'd like to stay with the stock wheels and 35's but I don't like the handling on the highway, even though I won't be on the highway that often. Thanks for any help here.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

its a combonation of too much lift (no high steer) for the tire size and the scrub radius. Installing the AEV 3.5" lift was your first mistake. You likely need a high steer (drag link flip) kit along with a raised rear track bar bracket and adjustable HD track bar. Also likely need more caster so you may need make adjustments if you are running the drop brackets or add some adjustable control arms.

Quick Reply: 35 vs 33