Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35” on Stock JK Rubicon?

Old Today, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie
Vet Army

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 35” on Stock JK Rubicon?

Title says it, looking to put 35’s on my 2016 stock Rubicon 2Dr. I’d rather do different fenders if needed than lift if possible as I’m old and not sporting the knees God gave me. Running an LOD mid length Destroyer front bumper so I don’t think that will be a problem. I’ll do a small lift if I have to, but had rather not
I have 4.10 gears so think I can get away with that too. If I do it I will be buying new wheels, not going with spacers, seen too many break at the drag strip 50 years ago.
So question one is will they fit, assuming no rock crawling type of behavior? Seen several things in the net saying they will, but don’t know if that’s real?

One question I can’t seem to find an answer to is how much harder is it to flat tow with 12.5”-35’s than with the narrow 31 stock tires? Anyone flat tow with both?
My Motorhome is only 215 HP is why I ask, I’ve not flat towed the Jeep yet, will do that next month so I have no idea how much drag there is even with skinny 255 all terrain tires.
I have towed a Miata on a single axle aluminum trailer, that was easy and the biggest dual axle U-haul trailer with furniture in it, that was about all I think it could handle.

Oh, as over 90% of my real usage will be on road they will more than likely be more aggressive looking All terrains, or less aggressive looking Mud terrain, no Super Swampers.

Just to add, seen lots of data on the 4dr U but none on the 2dr.

Last edited by a64pilot; Today at 01:09 PM.
Old Today, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 406 Likes on 381 Posts

I'm not answering your questions; I am offering an alternative .. take a look at 35x11.50 17s .. less width and come in load range C. 4.10 should be fine.. that's our gearing and running 11.50s on a stock Gladiator Mojave.. 12.50s on the JKU. Really didn't data the MPG but believe lost about 2 mpg going to 12.50 on the JKU which indicates the rolling resistance and weight difference. Good Luck
Old Today, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

35s will absolutely fit on a stock Rubicon. I ran that setup for a long time, with the 4.10s too and I was perfectly happy with it. I would recommend trimming the fenders or installing flat ones. I'd also recommend doing a little minor trimming on the rear pinch seam where clearance will be close. It's easy enough with a cutoff wheel. If you're still rocking the Rubicon rails, you might want to take a few inches off those as well. Wheels with the proper offset are also the right way, and I like the BFG KO3 for a good looking, quiet, streetable but still capable offroad tire.

This was mine the day I cut the fenders and slapped on the 35s, no suspension work whatsoever. This is a perfectly good rock crawling setup too, though I'd recommend a good set of skids for that.

Old Today, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie
Vet Army

Ref the 11.5” load C tires, I searched over on extreme terrain as they do wheel and tire packages and send them mounted and balanced, which is what I would like.
They have 0 35”-11.5” tires for a 17” wheel in load range C, and in the 12.50 size only 2 Load range C, both $400 to $500 ea tires.
I really, really don’t want heavy stiff tires, but they seem to be the only choice, tires for a 3/4 ton truck, load range E.
Long ago I have a CJ-7 running Gumbo Monster Mudders if anyone remembers them, Jeep rode stiff, I thought it was just the Jeep, then one day I bought BF Goodrich Radial Mud Terrain TA’s, and it rode like a Cadillac, nice soft compliant sidewalls, couldn’t believe the difference. Back then, 1989 or so I think radial off road tires were rare. I though maybe they rode so well because they were radials, but I bet they were also load range C.

How did you trim the fenders, cut off wheel? How did you finish the edges?

Last edited by a64pilot; Today at 03:50 PM.
Old Today, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie
Vet Army

There are several Load range C 35” tires, if you go down to 15” wheels. Much less $$ too.
Will 15’s even clear our calipers?
Old Today, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 406 Likes on 381 Posts

this is an older post from the JL Forum .. about 35s ( 315s measure out in the same 34.4" range) and "C"
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...st-2022.98655/

Last edited by Jay2013jk; Today at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: 35” on Stock JK Rubicon?