Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Peak Mountain Snowflake vs AT's

Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake vs AT's

Hello everybody. Hopefully I am moving back to CO. I have not lived there since 2011 and I really miss it. Hopefully this is the year my job transfers me to the Denver office. Got a tire question and I would like to hear from people who live in the snowy area's.

Currently I got Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 35 equivalent European BS size on there. I am going to 37's in the future. My 2dr 16 Rubicon is not a daily driver, but will be the primary when the snow starts falling. My Challenger 392 will be pretty shitty when it snows and will either got sold or parked when we move. Anyhow, upon going to 37's I was thinking of going to AT and getting rid of the muds for several reasons.

There are only a few AT tires (That I can find) that go to 37's and have the 3 peak snowflake ratings . K02's, General Grabbers ATX, and Falcon Wildpeaks. My question is how mush snow performance am I losing if I go with a more aggressive AT tire, like Dick Cepek Fun Country, MT ATZ P3's, Nitto Ridge Grappler. Anybody experience a regular AT in the snow, then an AT with the 3 peak rating?

My wife's JLUR still has the stock K02's on it, so I can experience those tires when we finally get some snow in NJ, but I don't have other AT's to compare them to. My MTZ's are not that good on a plowed road and scary on ice.

My JKR gets wheeled a lot, and if we finally get to CO, it will even more. So I am looking for excellent off road performance as well. I drive around mud holes when I can. Thanks
Pic of my Jeep in Moab couple years ago.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 406 Likes on 381 Posts

Try this article.. yes it appears to be from Europe.. https://www.pneurama.com/en/rivista_...LAKE-?ID=20587
Old 11-21-2019, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Quebec Canada and winter is hell. Mandatory Snow Flake winter rates tires.
on my JKUR I am running 18 inch (had rims from my GC and hey they look better than 16" )Toyo GSI-5 snow and ice.
I would not go with a AT type rated tire as it usually is an all round compromise. If you have room to store a set of wheel pick some takeoffs up cheap and put real dedicated snow ice tires on.
I almost lost control of the new rig running my son to school on the BFGs in slight black ice conditions. These tires are terrible when the temp gets freezing; well they are not great on road in the wet either.
You will gain way more than good traction but will be able to brake better and have some control on ice. I get the best I can and due to the law here in Quebec I can find a used tire from some guy that had to get them due to the law and then got rid of the car right after. But regardless of the cost it will save your ride or your hide at some point.

Quick Reply: 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake vs AT's