Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Project-JK Full Traction Long Arm Test on Knock-on-Wood Trail

Old 01-31-2009, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool pics!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

I love it!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey WOL, what sway bar links are you running?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EvolutionIXMR
Very nice shots. May I ask what kind of lens you are using?
Looking at the photo EXIF information, it looks like its shot with a Sony DSC-R1 which has a fixed 24-120mm F2.8-4.8 Carl Zeiss T* lens.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Looking at the photo EXIF information, it looks like its shot with a Sony DSC-R1 which has a fixed 24-120mm F2.8-4.8 Carl Zeiss T* lens.
The newer compact cameras take superb shots, it's really not necessary to haul that DSLR around anymore. My relatively old Canon G7 takes such good photos I usually leave the Olympus DSLR at home.

WOL, trememdous post, fantastic photography, alreeady looking forward to your next "installment".
Old 01-31-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edwin907
The newer compact cameras take superb shots, it's really not necessary to haul that DSLR around anymore. My relatively old Canon G7 takes such good photos I usually leave the Olympus DSLR at home.

WOL, trememdous post, fantastic photography, alreeady looking forward to your next "installment".
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The R1(NOT a DSLR btw) was a great camera and Sony hasn't released anything like it(other than their SLRs) since.
The lense on the camera is amazing. Infact anything with a Tessar lens is amazing.
I have been shooting for 12 years now and have noticed that point and shoot photography is actually getting worse when compared to what was offered on a film level. Lenses are getting smaller, image sensors are getting smaller, flashes are getting smaller, batteries are getting smaller, etc. That all translates to grainy shots, horrible indoor/lowlight performance, and image full of artifacts at a 100% view.

Cameras aren't cameras anymore. They are fashion accessories and "gadgets". I sell cameras for a living for a big professional retailer here on the tri-state area(which I won't mention) area. Customers these day come in looking for a camera and don't ask the same questions they used to.
Instead of being asked questions like, "what is the minimum ISO" or "What is the maximum aperature of the lens", they ask "Can I get this in pink", "Does this have a touch-screen", and "Do you have anything smaller". And to them the "megapixels" determine the quality of the photos. LoL riiiight.

It's pretty pathetic if you ask me, but oh well. I'll just keep lugging around my Lowepro backpack with my SLR and lenses because I know what to expect of my shots.

Last edited by EvolutionIXMR; 01-31-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by EvolutionIXMR
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The R1(NOT a DSLR btw) was a great camera and Sony hasn't released anything like it(other than their SLRs) since.
The lense on the camera is amazing. Infact anything with a Tessar lens is amazing.
I have been shooting for 12 years now and have noticed that point and shoot photography is actually getting worse when compared to what was offered on a film level. Lenses are getting smaller, image sensors are getting smaller, flashes are getting smaller, batteries are getting smaller, etc. That all translates to grainy shots, horrible indoor/lowlight performance, and image full of artifacts at a 100% view.

Cameras aren't cameras anymore. They are fashion accessories and "gadgets". I sell cameras for a living for a big professional retailer here on the tri-state area(which I won't mention) area. Customers these day come in looking for a camera and don't ask the same questions they used to.
Instead of being asked questions like, "what is the minimum ISO" or "What is the maximum aperature of the lens", they ask "Can I get this in pink", "Does this have a touch-screen", and "Do you have anything smaller". And to them the "megapixels" determine the quality of the photos. LoL riiiight.

It's pretty pathetic if you ask me, but oh well. I'll just keep lugging around my Lowepro backpack in the Pro SLR and lenses because I know what to expect of my shots.
I have noticed that my new 10.1megapixel is worse than my old 8.something camera. The only reason why I chose it over a real camera is because I do underwater/surfing photos and dont want to break a better one. Also, I dropped my old camera on a rock when off roading and the new one is supposed to be good to go if that happens.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:55 PM
JK Freak

Looks like alot of fun out there.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:10 AM
JK Jedi

Very cool pics!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the FT long arm make any difference?

Last edited by bigbluejk; 02-01-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Project-JK Full Traction Long Arm Test on Knock-on-Wood Trail