Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Project-JK Full Traction Long Arm Test on Knock-on-Wood Trail

Old 01-31-2009, 09:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up Project-JK Full Traction Long Arm Test on Knock-on-Wood Trail

Being that we just got our Full Traction Long Arm Upgrade installed on Thursday, WOLette and I were eager to test out our JK and as luck would have it, our son had the day off yesterday and so, on a whim, we decided to head out to the Superstition Mountains OHV Area and do just that. Specifically, we decided to work our way around to the east side of the mountain and do a run up Knock-on-Wood, which, according to the California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails book by Charles Wells, is a "difficult" trail that has "sharp boulders and narrow openings" which are "barely passable." Wells suggests that "long-wheel based vehicles will have great difficulty" and that lockers front and rear are recommended and that body and/or mechanical damage is possible. Needless to say, a good trail to put our new upgrades to the test

Anyway, here are some shots from our day out on Knock-on-Wood....

At the Superstition Mountain OHV Area Entrance....

While we were airing down, we had pleasure of watching the Blue Angles practice their ariel maneuvers directly over head and at times, deafiningly close to the ground...

Making our way around to the backside of the Superstition Mountains is very slow going as most of the trail is covered with tall sand dunes that you have to climb up and over and where the trail is visible as you can see in the pic below, it is lined with large and continous whoops that keep you from going any faster than 5-10 MPH.....

Even with a GPS, most of the trails back here are near impossible to find. Fortunately, we were able to locate the Knock-on-Wood trailhead which has a few small boulders to negotiate...

At one point and time, we simply could not find the trail anymore and so we decided to climb to the top of the mountain and scout things out. Here is a shot from the top looking down at our JK and the Salton Sea beyond....

Most of the Superstition Mountians are covered with a patchwork of sand dunes....

Fortunately for us, we found the trail and hiked the lenght of it back down to our JK to see just how easy or difficult it was going to be....

Back on the trail again - Here are a few shots that we took as we made our way up it....

Just about to the top....

and, here we are at last....

The way back down is a ton of fun as the sand dunes cover up any trail there might have been. Pretty much, you just have to make your way down what the Wells book refers to as "Roller Coaster Sand Ridges"....

And that was pretty much it. The rest of the way down was pretty much just play time on the dunes until we got back to the main entrance to the OHV Area. As far as our impressions of the Full Traction Long Arm Upgrade goes, WE LOVE IT!! With it's addition to our EVO Flex system, the 3 hour ride out to the trail was smooth as glass and on the trail, it made a tough trail seem like nothing at all. In fact, we found ourselves a little disappointed that there weren't bigger or harder obstacles on the trail as getting to the top took no time at all even with all the photos we took. Anyway, if you want to see all the pics from our trip, simply click on the link below:

Project-JK Full Traction Long Arm Test
on Knock-on-Wood Trail Photo Gallery

Old 01-31-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dayum that place is nice! Nice shots!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome
Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice shots. May I ask what kind of lens you are using?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks great! Looks like a cool place to have some fun!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

Dude....it doesn't even look like your Jeep had any troubles there. I think you're cheating.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Junkie

Nice Pics!
Old 01-31-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

very cool, you should have called I would have joined you out there!!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is fookin awesome. great trip. great photos.

I saw that FT LA under your jeep on a post WOLette made about the trektop I think... I was thinking I had never seen it before and wondered if it had been pulled off.... now I know. That jeep is wicked.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Love the dunes! Looked like a fun time.

Quick Reply: Project-JK Full Traction Long Arm Test on Knock-on-Wood Trail