Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Project-JK 2nd Annual Anza Borrego Coyote Canyon Newbie Run 2008

Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up Project-JK 2nd Annual Anza Borrego Coyote Canyon Newbie Run 2008

I don't know what it is about a newbie run that brings everyone and their mother out to play but it would seem that each time we do one, that's exactly what seems happens. Over the weekend, Project-JK just held its 2nd Annual Anza Borrego Coyote Canyon Newbie run and while I thought last years turnout was big with 14 JK's along for the ride, this year we saw as many as 39!! In fact, we had so many show up for the run that it was almost a logistical nightmare. However, thanks to some of the great members on this forum who are experienced and were eager to help out, we were able to split up into 4 groups and everything went smoothly and without incident. If anything, I think our sheer size turned out to be more of an electrifying experience for everyone as opposed to a problem.

I will have to apologize ahead of time for not having more pics to show you but being that our group was so big and split up into 4 groups, it was simply impossible to take more. Anyway, here are a few shots from our trip.....

A little more than half our group met up at Siggy's for breakfast....

Toad used the time there to pass out name badges....

Meeting up with the rest of our group and saying our hellos at the Anza Borrego Visitor Center....

Just to make things easy for everyone, we decided to air down our tires here....

Helping to disconnect a newbies sway bar links while Rubimon kindly offers up his portable Rubitop for shade....

Here's what the Rubitop looks like installed on his JK....

Breaking down into four separate groups, we had all the newbies line up behind (left to right) fish, Dwikto, Rubimon and myself. Toad took up the rear but, you can't see that far back in this photo...

On the trail at last - shot looking back at our group....

A few shots of everyone making their way up the rocky hill climb...

About half our group sitting at the summit of the rocky hill climb looking out across the valley beyond...

Here's a shot of most of our group at camp with a few more JK's still trickling in...

CHEERS!! - It's Honey Time!!

Setting up for the show...

Trail Bud and fish light up some stogies....

and, Bill and Jeephrog cut up some kindling to lite up a campfire....

Bill checking to see if the fire's hot yet...

I don't know about the rest of you but I've got my dinner!!

Jeephrog showing off his culinary skills...

A couple of shots of people chillin and enjoying the great company...

Those are pretty much all the shots we could get for the day. However, I can tell you that we all had a great time late into the night watching Project-JK movies and hanging out with great friends.

There are more pics from Day 2 below but if you would like to see all 426 photos from this trip now, all you need to do is click on this link:

Project-JK 2nd Annual Anza Borrego Coyote Canyon
Newbie Run 2008 Photo Gallery

Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up Day 2

These are a few shots that we took the next day....

Camp at dawn...

A friend that Gryphon found....

Toad blindfolding Gryphon in preparation to play the Off Road Evolution's Over the Edge game....

Toad testing her blindfold...

Mel explaining the rules one more time...

While Gryphon's spotter did a great job, they just missed the mark...

Next up to bat was TStrain...

In case you don't know the game, the object is to have a blindfolded newbie directed by a spotter, place their driverside rear tire on top of a target 30 feet away in 1 minute, without touching the target with any other tire and without using reverse. Here you can see Tstrain getting read for his run...

Unfortunately, he misses it by a bit...

Next up is Tammy being spotted by dustjunkie...

and, who do you think got to take home the awesome prize of a brand new Off Road Evolution EVO Trail Table....

After play Over the Edge, about 10 of us decided to do one more quick run out to the Slot. Here are a few shots of us making our way down the drop off...

At the Slot getting ready to hike up it...

Trail Bud playing rock paper scissors with Harley to see who gets to run to the back of the line to let the rest know what's going on....

Time to head on in...

Being small and thin has its advantages here...

Ummm, where do I go from here?

Leaving the Slot and making our way back to pavement...

Airing back up and getting ready to head on out...

Once again, if you would like to see all 426 photos from this trip now, all you need to do is click on the link below:

Project-JK 2nd Annual Anza Borrego Coyote Canyon
Newbie Run 2008 Photo Gallery

I'd like to take a moment and give a HUGE special thanks to:

Trail Bud and Off Topic for heading out early to check in with the visitor center and for grabbing a campsite for the rest of our group. Without your help, we most likely would not have been able to camp where we did.

Rubimon, fish, Toad and Dwikto for leading our groups and being the HUGE help that you were. I really appreciate your willingness to get your hands dirty, air down tires, disconnect swaybar links and provide spotting where necessary. Without your help, none of this would have been possible.

I also need to give thanks to Trail Bud again for bringing out your projector and sound system so that we could watch our movies again at night. Likewise, I need to thank Toad again for all your help in organinzing this run and for being the great help that you were with the name tags and making sure that everyone was having a good time.

Of course, I need to thank Off Road Evolution for joining us in spite of the fact that you could only make it out late. Also, I'm grateful for your willingness to help make this trip fun by providing a very fun game for the newbies to play and for giving away the awesome EVO Trail Table to the winner.

Last but not least, I want to give a BIG thanks to all those who were able to join us on this run. It really was a pleasure to meet all of you and look forward to hitting the trails again with you soon.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool. Nice Job!!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Looks like...

Tons of fun!

...I miss the honey fish drink

Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Great pics, looks like everyone had a great time!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice!

I see toad was giving out tickets (or her phone number?) to the newbies....

Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toad

~couldnt help it.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

That looks like a rockin good time. I wish I lived out west for that kind of trail riding.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

A few that Kaligrl and I took...

Us (thanks for the pic WOL!)

Rubimon with "rubishadetm" installed

Tunnel of umm, well, uhh, nevermind...

I am sure that Rubimon is talking about nuts, sausage, melons, or Tammy's ass...

Can anybody find the Jeep in this picture?

More to come...

dj
Old 10-27-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pics. Looks like a fantastic time was had by all.

Ty...

Quick Reply: Project-JK 2nd Annual Anza Borrego Coyote Canyon Newbie Run 2008