Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Mojave Desert Dry Lakes Run

Old 01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up Mojave Desert Dry Lakes Run

Well, we were gonna try and meet up with the Santa Clarita gang on Saturday but unfortunately, we ended up getting out late and so, we decided to just head out to the Mojave and check out some of the dry lakes. With all the rain we had been seeing all week, we were pretty sure they would be filled up and wanted to check them out before they dried up again. Fortunately for us, we got a call from Trail Bud before leaving and was able to convince him to join us. And, let me tell you, we were lucky that he came as we ended up needing him to save our sorry asses on more than one occasion. Anyway, here are a few pics from our trip....

At the trail head airing down and getting ready to do some exploring....

Right from the get go, there were a few long stretch of deep water we needed to cross...

Unfortunately for me, I forgot to lock the hubs and ended up digging into the soft mud. Thank goodness Trail Bud waited before following me in...

Back on dry land, I made sure to lock the hubs...

With the hubs locked and being in 4WD, the next stretch of water went much better...

With a snorkel installed, Trail Bud was able to give it a bit more gas and without any worries...

The mud gave a nice new Mojave Khaki paint job that practically camouflaged our JK's....

Out on Coyote Dry Lake, there was some water but not as much as we were expecting....

Moving on, we made a stop over at the Starbright Mine....

On our way over to the next dry lake, we sank our JK into some really deep water and stalled the engine. In fear of possible hydrolock, we decided it would be best to get pulled out and checking things out before turning over the engine. Here's a shot of Trail Bud coming to our rescue again....

Back on dry land again....

After giving everything a thorough once over, we started the engine up with out any problems....

The next dry lake we visited is unnamed but was very full of water just as we had hoped....

Slowly driving out into the water in hopes of taking our ritual standing on water shot...

Unfortunately, it was pretty windy so our first attempt at a lake shot didn't turn out exactly the way we wanted....

After driving around the lake, we found another spot that was a little more sheltered by the wind and so we tried our shot once again and this time, it worked out better....

Some reflective shots before sunset....

View out our windows....

Snow covered hillsides as we make our way out of the desert....

Stopped in Barstow to try and knock off some of the heavy mud so we could see where we're going....

If you would like to see all the pics we took on our Mojave Desert dry lakes run, click on the link below:

Mojave Desert Dry Lakes Run Photo Gallery

Old 01-24-2010, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a great dirty time
Old 01-24-2010, 05:58 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kupost
Looks like a great dirty time
man, it was overwhelming. when we got off the trail, we spent about 15 min trying to wash off the mud - didn't do much. went to the car wash today and spent about half an hour and $25 trying to get off the baked on mud and just barely got most of it off. came home and spent another couple of hours washing the jeep and finally, it's clean. i hate mud!!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:20 PM
JK Junkie

Great pics looks like it was a great time!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Really cool pics! Looks like a muddy fun time
Old 01-25-2010, 12:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great pics ... looks like good fun. probably the first time i have seen your rig (WOL) looking that dirty
Old 01-25-2010, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

great pic, nice rigs. it kinda looks like a rover comercial. i know i know i said rover.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 AM
Former Member

Looks like your typical Ohio Trailride.....
Old 01-25-2010, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

you guys always find the best spots
Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, I asked the Vegas guys when they were going to hit both of our dry lake beds. All said they didn't want to get dirty! We drove through about 33" of water at one point, was a bit nervous with the stock air intake,

Quick Reply: Mojave Desert Dry Lakes Run