Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Inside abandoned train tunnel

Old 01-18-2008 | 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

thats awesome, i wish we had some cool stuff in socal
Old 01-18-2008 | 09:10 PM
JK Super Freak

That is awesome! Don't know if I could convince the wife to go through that with me though.
Old 01-18-2008 | 09:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CIJeep
GG. Do you have pics of the ghost town too? How long ago was the tunnel abandoned and do you ever use metal detectors?

Very interesting.
Yes, I do have pictures of Comet ghost town (and mine) located up a steep, narrow mountain road west of Boulder Train Tunnel. I will post them very soon ( tonight or tomorrow night). Burlington Northern discontinued service on this line in 1982. It is 1.6 miles long. My husband, son, and I are gold prospectors so yes, we do have metal detectors. My DH has a Mine Lab 2000D and both my son and I have White's MXT detectors. However, I have an allergy...............I'm allergic to standing in deep, dark, cold water and reaching down to dig for some unidentified object in a dark tunnel.

By the way, my Mother didn't raise any dummies. My son has a lift on his ZJ and has better clearance so of course we made him go first. If his Jeep disappears into a hole in the water we won't go there. Besides, our Jeep is the one with the Warn Power Plant winch on the front so we will be on high ground and can pull him out.
Old 01-18-2008 | 09:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Default 2 more pictures inside train tunnel

Here are a couple more pictures of the inside of the Boulder Train Tunnel.

This shows the long dark tunnel about half way through. Every now and then there were areas without water where the gravel road bed was exposed.

This picture is Photo Shop enhanced to show better detail of the inside of the tunnel. If you look at the water you can see splashes here and there of water dripping from the ceiling.

Gee, looking at these photos makes me wonder if I should have been a little more afraid when I was in there. But it was so exciting that it was kind of like a roller coaster ride.............scary and fun.............. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Old 01-18-2008 | 10:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah thats pretty creepy!
Old 01-19-2008 | 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I hope they leave that open, looks like a lot of fun
Old 01-19-2008 | 06:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Gravel Gertie

You can see the end of the tunnel ahead of us.

Haven't you ever been told to not head towards the light at the end of the tunnell
Old 01-20-2008 | 06:05 AM
JK Freak

That is pretty awesome, but I might have chickened out on that one , definately creepy.
Old 01-21-2008 | 08:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow! Over 1,000 people have looked at my pictures so far. I am thrilled at the response. I'm amazed that it attracted more visits than pictures of the mountains. But this is a Jeep group so I should have known. Now I have a new problem............how am I going to top this? Hummmm Check back next week, maybe I can catch a few International Pedigree Dog Sled pictures as they pass our house in preparation for the big one, the Iditarod in Alaska. It will be a while before I can get good snow pictures as the temperature is extremely cold this time of the year. We are expected to get down to 20 below zero tonight. Thank you all for your encouragement and comments.
Old 01-21-2008 | 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Over a thousand views, and I've looked at it a couple times, so I thought I would just say

Quick Reply: Inside abandoned train tunnel