Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Ghost town, Comet, Montana

Old 01-29-2008 | 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07JKX
you can have the same thrills in downtown atlanta... there is a special place we call the "ghetto"... its a fun adventure... run down house... bullets wizzing across the street... the occassional (or not) drive by... and you can find lots of pretty use syringes!

We should go sometime Tgrt!! I'll bring the kevlar and AK

cant forget the transvestite hookers at the corner of spring and 4th street... (no I'm really not kidding)...
I worked security for a club by there.... those "gals" are creepy..... some of em are bigger than me....
Old 01-29-2008 | 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gravel Gertie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comet, Montana is a ghost town located about twenty miles SSW of Helena. It is reached by following High Ore Road north from Interstate 15. The remains of the town cover about thirty-five acres and consist of an ore hopper, a large ore processing building, several other company buildings, and numerous houses and other private structures. High Ore Creek runs through the center of the property and separates the mine buildings from the town proper. The town is abandoned except for a single active residence; although it sits on private grazing land, it is open to public access.

History

The town is named for the Comet Mine, which was developed in 1883 by the Helena and Livingston Smelting and Reduction Company, based on a discovery made in 1874. Ore was transported to another mine in Wickes for processing. This operation shut down in 1897. Operations were revived in 1900 under the Montana Consolidated Copper Company; in 1927 the Basin Montana Tunnel Company took over the property and built a processing plant on the site for both this mine and the nearby Gray Eagle mine. These operations continued until 1941 when the mine was exhausted and operations were permanently halted.

The Comet mine produced some $20 million in ore and was the richest mine in the district; the Gray Eagle mine produced over $2 million on top of this. Ores produced included lead, zinc, copper, silver, and gold.

what an awsome trip.... I'd love to be able to hit places like that... Thanks a ton for sharing this with us...
Old 01-30-2008 | 05:51 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 07JKX
you can have the same thrills in downtown atlanta... there is a special place we call the "ghetto"... its a fun adventure... run down house... bullets wizzing across the street... the occassional (or not) drive by... and you can find lots of pretty use syringes!

We should go sometime Tgrt!! I'll bring the kevlar and AK
Sure. We'll take your Jeep.
Old 01-30-2008 | 05:53 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by WestGaParrotHead
cant forget the transvestite hookers at the corner of spring and 4th street... (no I'm really not kidding)...
I worked security for a club by there.... those "gals" are creepy..... some of em are bigger than me....
Hey I thought it would be funny to include the post you made after this post and you get a whole lot nastier outcome:
what an awsome trip.... I'd love to be able to hit places like that... Thanks a ton for sharing this with us...
Old 02-03-2008 | 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow ,That is beautiful.
Old 02-04-2008 | 12:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default nice pics

Looks very nice out there. hope ya had fun
Old 04-06-2013 | 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gravel Gertie
A few miles west of the Boulder Train Tunnel (see this thread Inside abandoned train tunnel) up a steep narrow mountain road is the abandoned mine and ghost town of Comet, Montana. There is one house occupied that we noticed. I estimate there are about 30 structures still standing in various stages of disrepair. Most buildings are dangerous to enter due to rotting timbers and floors.

Here is a picture of the Rubi in front of a few homes.

Looking south at the mine across the small valley.

Here is a closer view of the abandoned mine. It was fun to go inside and explore. It is still in pretty good shape.

We hiked up to the top of the mine and looked back at Comet. "Teton Jim", my DH is viewing the landscape. This is one of the largest ghost towns we have visited.

This was the last trip we managed to take before winter set in and closed the back roads until Spring. It was a great fun to explore this area and I can hardly wait for Spring to return as the snow is getting too deep to go of road now.

The ghost town of Comet is listed in the book "4x4 Routes of Western Montana" by Back Roads Publications take a look at Back Roads Publications - Home
Old 04-06-2013 | 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

The ghost town of comet is one of the trails in new book "4x4 routes of western montana" Back Roads Publications - Home

Originally Posted by gravel gertie
a few miles west of the boulder train tunnel (see this thread Inside abandoned train tunnel) up a steep narrow mountain road is the abandoned mine and ghost town of comet, montana. There is one house occupied that we noticed. I estimate there are about 30 structures still standing in various stages of disrepair. Most buildings are dangerous to enter due to rotting timbers and floors.

Here is a picture of the rubi in front of a few homes.

looking south at the mine across the small valley.

here is a closer view of the abandoned mine. It was fun to go inside and explore. It is still in pretty good shape.

we hiked up to the top of the mine and looked back at comet. "teton jim", my dh is viewing the landscape. This is one of the largest ghost towns we have visited.

this was the last trip we managed to take before winter set in and closed the back roads until spring. It was a great fun to explore this area and i can hardly wait for spring to return as the snow is getting too deep to go of road now.

Quick Reply: Ghost town, Comet, Montana