Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Cross Country Trip

Old 07-11-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravel Gertie
Congratulations on your graduation! May I suggest you do part of your cross country trip visiting Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. Jackson Hole is a wonderful tourist destination with lots of things to do and see. We are nestled in the Rocky Mountains south of Yellowstone. There are wonderful scenic National Forest Roads to explore with your Jeep that we could direct you towards if you stop into our store, Stone's Mercantile, on Broadway in down town Jackson. Here is a sample of our scenery and there is lots more everywhere you look.

Jenny Lake, Grand Teton Natl. Park

Holy Moly!

There is a GOD!!!!!

Awesome picture!!
Old 07-11-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sgmrock
...and lots of sunscreen if you plan on top down. You will get burned to a crisp at altitude, literally in minutes, if you don't!
I can attest to that. Darn Swedish ancestors...
Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks to everyone for your recomendations. I am looking into all your suggestions.

I'm definately trying to spend some extra time in Moab and check out the easier trials around there. The terrain there is nothing like it is here in Pennsylvania.

Keep all the ideas coming!

Anyone knows some great backroads and easy trials in the Rockies?

How many jeep waves will it take to round the whole country? Over 100?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FAZ'S JK
How many jeep waves will it take to round the whole country? Over 100?
That is a terrific question. Why don't you keep score and let us know when your finish your vacation!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the play by play. Sounds like it was a great trip.

6 days in Vegas is a loooong time especially if you did this trip alone.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FAZ'S JK
Thanks for the play by play. Sounds like it was a great trip.

6 days in Vegas is a loooong time especially if you did this trip alone.
Oh trust me, there's plenty to keep yourself occupied for 6 days in Vegas....even if you're by yourself!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pkess3
Oh trust me, there's plenty to keep yourself occupied for 6 days in Vegas....even if you're by yourself!
Not if you don't drink or gamble. I went a few years ago and was bored by the second day.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did that East Coast/West Coast thing every week for the better part of 25 years. And the 3 main things I remember are,1) the incredibly bad coffee in Van Horn, Texas, 2) the car size boulder bouncing off the road in Feather River Canyon, in California, and 3) The Thing,in Dragoon, AZ. The Thing was the best, but I still want my buck back!

Now this is where I give you the real good advice.........stay the hell off the
Interstates!!!! They are great if you are in a hurry, but you will see nothing, meet no one, and enjoy your trip a lot less, take the blue roads, you will have a much better time.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryno
Not if you don't drink or gamble. I went a few years ago and was bored by the second day.
You must not have explored the area very much. Nearby there's Lake Mead, Lake Mohave, Red Rock Canyon, and Valley of fire State Park. Plenty of outdoor recreational activities including boating, camping, hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking and of course offroading!!

Now if all you want to do is indoor type stuff then I could see you getting a little bored. But then again there are attractions such as the Stratosphere tower which is I think is the 2nd tallest building west of the Mississippi and has a spectacular view. There's the water show in front of the Bellagio which is free and pretty cool if you've never seen it. There's the Shark Reef exhibit in Mandalay Bay. There's a dolphin exhibit at the Mirage. And then there are countless shows such as O and Cirque de Soliel that have absolutely nothing to do with drinking or gambling. Now yes a lot of these things cost money so I guess if you were somewhat broke and didn't gamble or drink then I could see you getting pretty bored here in Las Vegas. But to say that there's not much to do here to keep yourself occupied for 6 days by yourself??? I think not. My first visit here was in 2000 and I didn't have a whole lot of money at the time and I wasn't really a big gambler or drinker but at the end of my two day visit I felt like I only scratched the surface of what Las Vegas had to offer.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Default JK fuel mileage

I just got back from a two week Jeeping ride to Utah and back to Texas.

Had the 08 Unlimited Rubicon loaded, including a cargo carrier with extra Jerry cans of fuel, and a lot of camping gear. There were three of us.. Never had to use the extra fuel. Gas prices ranged from $3.85 to $4.39 per gallon.

Got 18.0 mpg from FW to Amarillo, then 19 and over all the rest of the trip, a total of 4,000 + miles. (Paid the gas bill today). Mostly got 19.7 and 20.4 mpg acrosss NM, AZ, UT, and back home. I attribute the good mileage to the Jeep computer thinning out the fuel to match up with the higher altitudes driven.

Will post more later, as soon as I figure out how to add pictures to posts.

Pilotbob
Paradise, TX

Quick Reply: Cross Country Trip