Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Cross Country Trip

Old 07-09-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like fun trip, but I wouldn't try to pack it all into 2-3 weeks. That just doesn't seem like enough time to do anything other than drive.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mbridenour
My wife and I are heading out Aug 2nd from PA to LA. We have to be in LA for a wedding on Aug 15.We will be going south west then north back. We are are going to be towing a TAB lightweight trailer and camping most nights. We are calling it the top down tour. We are going to be doing a travel blog of the trip. Maybe we will see ya along the way.

I have a T@B trailer too, so I'd be interested in your travel blog. Let me know where I can find it--you can PM me if you want with the details.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FAZ'S JK
The cost of this trip will be very high but will be worth it. I am graduating college in the fall and might never have a chance like this again. We're planning on bringing a tent and camping most nights and packing food to keep costs down. Seeing the country in a JK with the top off will be well worth it and I would be kicking myself years from now if I missed the opportunity.
Congratulations on graduation!!! Oh to be there again!!! Enjoy yourself and do as much as possible.

Camping along the way? I love it!!!

I absutively posilutely agree with N2Rock,...

Do not do this in Tejas at that time of the year.

Stay north and high. That means Colorado for the southern most route, and hit some great trails as you go. You can go thru Denver, hit Holy Cross, get into Leadville, Independence Pass, Apen, Ouray,... So many great options!

Texas is awesome, but unless your willing and able to spend some real time here to absorb Texas for what it really is, don't just pass though. I encourage you to visit us for an extended period of time and see what we are all about. It is a great place to call home.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepik
i drove from LA to Baltimore last May, was a good trip

if i were to do it again, i would avoid Texax, Oklahoma, and Ohio

was a complete waste of time to drive through those states

Arizona is a must see for sure
Well thats the best route to go unless you want to go through <shudder> kansas.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Well thats the best route to go unless you want to go through <shudder> kansas.
oh AMEN to that!!! i never cared for oklahoma then i stayed a week in kansas.... talk about NOTHING!!! that state don't even have shadows!!! (nothing there to cast a shadow)
Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mmcan
Texas is awesome, but unless your willing and able to spend some real time here to absorb Texas for what it really is, don't just pass though. I encourage you to visit us for an extended period of time and see what we are all about. It is a great place to call home.
X2

Texas is a great state! Great people and great BBQ!! You have everything from desert and mountains in the west to the beaches of the Gulf Coast to the pine woods of the east central region. It is a massive state and does take forever to cross if you are passing through. That I-10 stretch between El Paso and San Antonio is one of the longest most desolate stretches anywhere on an interstate. Cost of living is very good in Texas.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:23 AM
JK Jedi

Sounds like a cool trip. As for what to see? So much! I would recommend the Grand Canyon on your way down. On the Northern return, there are several National Parks in Utah which are all great. You could go down to Moab and do the Schafer trail (it is really easy and incredibly scenic). In the Rockies there is tons, depends on where you cross (Colorado or Montana?). Once you know your basic route I would search for info on those states.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

Done similar trip from the opposite direction...loads of fun. Think about a "southern" route of being I70 through Denver/Rockies to Moab. Then Grand Canyon and on to Vegas and your West Coast destination. Going back, go up to Lake Tahoe/Rubicon and onto the Grand Titons/Jackson Hole in Wyoming...
Have fun and Congrats on the graduation!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

...and lots of sunscreen if you plan on top down. You will get burned to a crisp at altitude, literally in minutes, if you don't!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Congratulations on your graduation! May I suggest you do part of your cross country trip visiting Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. Jackson Hole is a wonderful tourist destination with lots of things to do and see. We are nestled in the Rocky Mountains south of Yellowstone. There are wonderful scenic National Forest Roads to explore with your Jeep that we could direct you towards if you stop into our store, Stone's Mercantile, on Broadway in down town Jackson. Here is a sample of our scenery and there is lots more everywhere you look.

Jenny Lake, Grand Teton Natl. Park

Quick Reply: Cross Country Trip