Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Your tires in the snow.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your money for a really nice set of 35s and a lift cause i have found for snow that the expensive tires are not ness the best. I use Pace mark studded winter tires and they are phenominal in the deep snow, hard pack and exceptional on ice. now bring on summer, time for a tire change.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
Just as the Intuit's have multiple words for snow, I think there are many different answers. In some circumstances off road it would be best to be floating on top of the snow, and in others it would be better to be cutting through. One situation might be the equivalent of running in sand where low inflation rates are preferable, while another might be more akin to running in mud where higher inflation rates would work best.

My comments on higher inflation rates were for snow and pavement. If you float on top of that stuff at speed you are going to have issues stopping and maintaining control.

Oh, and the JPop is just a shortened version of my name from long ago. Since then, my sister has been referred to as APop and my mother as Mo Pop. My Dad retains Mr Pop, so I guess he isn't in the club.
Thanx JPop and I like the frame from Bullitt, cool stuff
Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Nitto Mud Grapplers aired down to to about 20lbs were great in the packed snow/ice on the roads. Around turns the esp would kick on a bit in 2wd but in 4wd it did too, just not as much, and it really was only for minor corrections. Never had any issues accelerating or stopping. Great traction. Deep snow offroad the tires needed to be aired down to about 10lbs to be great. But at that pressure they performed flawlessly. The Deep tread lugs self clean and provide traction in the 20" of snow I was wheeling in.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

315/75/16 Procomp MT's

In the deep stuff they are great (aired down).

On a snow packed road, I'd compare them to a regular car with regular tires, they aren't horrible but they aren't great either.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Im running the BF Goodrich KMT/2's 37's . Living in Pittsburgh P.A. we have been literally smacked with snow. Before the snow started to fly I would go wheelin, mudding etc, up, down and over terrain and these tires didn't miss a beat. When the snow fell these tires were AWESOME! Most of the snow was pretty thick. I was looking for uncharted territory just to see what they could do. My street was never touched with a plow. My vehicle with the lift on it was the only one on the street moving. Reg. 4WD vehicles with no lift were bottoming out. Neighbors were using the tread path i left in the snow to walk in as opposed to trudging. Very pleased with these tires!!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pull off my 33" M/Ts in December and install the original Goodyear 32" SR-A tires. These are much better on packed snow and ice than the M/Ts. Just before Christmas, we got between 25" and 27" of snow. Some roads had been plowed early in the storm, very few late. I drove 11 miles in this using the stock SR-As and had no issues whatsoever.

Next year, I'll buy a better set of winter tires, but the SR-As are adequate. Where they really don't do well is in rain. They are virtually useless in mud deeper than a couple of inches.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 05-04-2014, 01:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

haha come play in Montana,then we will discuss tires
Old 05-04-2014, 04:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow u sure we're digging.... This thread is 4 years old! Lol

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 05-04-2014, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Jersey_Devil;3903366]Wow u sure we're digging.... This thread is 4 years old! Lol

Must of been stuck at work!! My favorite thing to do when my boss says come in on weekends! LMAO
Old 05-05-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

wrangler duratrac are awesome
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	550795  

Quick Reply: Your tires in the snow.