Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Your tires in the snow.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your tires in the snow.

This year we've had a good amount of snow here in the east and it seems most of the snow getting country got a good amount as well.

The point of this is I would like to hear your opinions of how well your tires perform in the white stuff. As with most off road tire reviews they never give good snow comparisons and or test. So here we are. Lets hear all about your tire and your opinion.

I want two scenarios.
#1 Off road wheeling in the snow.

#2 On the road traveling on hard packed plowed snow. 2wd and 4wd.

I will post some of experiences after the thread gets some action.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:43 AM
JK Newbie

I have ran the Mastercraft Courser C/T 32 inches on my 4 dr X since I got it. They have never let me down on or off the road in the snow. They came predrilled for Ice Spikes so that is an easy install if need them. Up in my neck of the woods the snow plow does not come...so it's alot of driving in the snow. I would recommend these tires to anyone and they are alot cheeper then any others I have seen!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Procomp xtreme MT

I have not been offroad yet but I can tell you about mine on road in the snow...
We had some significant snow around christmas and new years and there was alot of hard packed snow for some time. 2 wheel drive was not great. In 4 wheel drive, the Procomp MT's did okay but the jeep seemed a little..."loose". Kinda felt like it could break loose at any time if you know what I mean!
Now this could be because I am not used to a 12.5" tire and I have heard that they act differently, so take it for what its worth!...
Old 02-28-2010, 03:20 AM
Fun
JK Newbie

I have a set of 33" Goodyear Silent Armors on my Rubicon and it performs very well on and off road in the snow.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bf Goodrich KM's (stock rubi tires)

Off in road in deep snow, Perform pretty good, no complaints.

On Road on packed snow, not too great but as long as you drive slow you are ok. Ice not great but if drive slow you are fine.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:35 AM
JK Junkie

I have Toyo OC MTs which were siped at the time of purchase and while not a great tire for the snow they perform admirably for an MT.

One of the misconceptions about tires and driving in snow is that you need to keep your inflation rate high so that you cut through the loose stuff and make better contact with the more firmly packed snow. Under inflated tires will cause you to float over the snow, reducing traction.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
I have Toyo OC MTs which were siped at the time of purchase and while not a great tire for the snow they perform admirably for an MT.

One of the misconceptions about tires and driving in snow is that you need to keep your inflation rate high so that you cut through the loose stuff and make better contact with the more firmly packed snow. Under inflated tires will cause you to float over the snow, reducing traction.
wow, I never thought about that, thanx JPop. We don't have snow here (once every 5 to 10 years) and I don't have a Jeep yet so I can't give a review

Several questions though JPop, What if you're off road on hard flat ground(I would assume you deflate in any other varied off road circumstance in the snow, rock crawling, mudding, etc.) in deep snow? Do you deflate your tires then? Or does it depend on the consistency of the snow? Virgin or in ruts? How bout pure ice?

Also does your name mean Jeep operator? If so cool, or cool anyway
Old 02-28-2010, 04:41 AM
JK Junkie

Just as the Intuit's have multiple words for snow, I think there are many different answers. In some circumstances off road it would be best to be floating on top of the snow, and in others it would be better to be cutting through. One situation might be the equivalent of running in sand where low inflation rates are preferable, while another might be more akin to running in mud where higher inflation rates would work best.

My comments on higher inflation rates were for snow and pavement. If you float on top of that stuff at speed you are going to have issues stopping and maintaining control.

Oh, and the JPop is just a shortened version of my name from long ago. Since then, my sister has been referred to as APop and my mother as Mo Pop. My Dad retains Mr Pop, so I guess he isn't in the club.

Last edited by JPop; 02-28-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Have the Goodyear MTR kevlar. I drove up a nasty mountain in Ashville, NC in 2wd and did not slip at all. Snow was probably around 2-3 foot. I was really surprised. I wanted to see if I could do it in 2wd and test the tire out, really was incredible. I think the MTR are one of the best tires I have ever seen.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

33/12.50/r17 km2's on/off road 2wd the whole way as long as esp was off and knowing how to gas it in the snow i never had a problem i went elk hunting with these as well and did not once need 4wd in very snowy hilly terrain, i recently switched to 35/12.50/r17s mt baja claws havent had a chance to try them yet but i do know they are too small still

Quick Reply: Your tires in the snow.