Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

You want HOW much???

Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You want HOW much???

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this...

I took my JK in this morning for a leaking axle seal and they called me within a few hours to let me know they ordered the parts. (I told them it was an axle seal last week ) While on the phone they let me know that I had some maintenance items they wanted to do, including swapping the differential fluid. When I asked about the price, my jaw dropped.... $135 ... APPIECE!

I politely declined. The funny thing is... in order to replace the axle seal, they are already going to be doing the front under warranty (unless they put the old diff fluid back in).
Old 02-09-2009, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
(unless they put the old diff fluid back in).
Which they probably will! I had mine in last weekend for a front pinion seal repl. and a re-sealing of the rear diff. The parts & labor receipt had no mention of new diff fluid.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

I really hope that they replace the diff fluid in my front end when they replace the axel seal. I'd hate to have the old fluid put back in.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you saying they wanted $135 to change each axle?

thats pretty damn crazy and sad, yeah we'll cover your axle leak, BUT how about you give us $270bucks for a fluid change

If i were you I would call them next week and ask how much it is to have diff fluids changed, then when they come back with a much lower price(I bet) you ask why it was going to cost you 270 last week. DAMN F'in dealers
Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know how you feel. My dealer wanted $200 and axle. My local mechanic did them both for $70 total.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

AND... you have to wonder what cheap azz gear oil they would put in also. I did both mine myself with top of the line Royal Purple for a total of $35 and 20 minutes (I had a cig in between!).
Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RubiJK
AND... you have to wonder what cheap azz gear oil they would put in also. I did both mine myself with top of the line Royal Purple for a total of $35 and 20 minutes (I had a cig in between!).
Yeah... I was estimating an hour and $45 worth of synthetic and $5 worth of RTV. I already have the diff fluid sitting in my garage next to the solid diff covers.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah... I was estimating an hour and $45 worth of synthetic and $5 worth of RTV. I already have the diff fluid sitting in my garage next to the solid diff covers.

JUST to change the diff fluids, my stealership wants like $315.00. I would do it myself if I knew how and had the space and tools.

I think I'll just bring it to the mechanic I used to use before I bought my Jeep. He's very good and reasonable.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:32 PM
JK Freak

Yep, sorry... Rubicons have drain plugs that make it really easy and fast! But, I would agree an hour total if you have to pull the covers.

Originally Posted by Shellikins
JUST to change the diff fluids, my stealership wants like $315.00. I would do it myself if I knew how and had the space and tools.

I think I'll just bring it to the mechanic I used to use before I bought my Jeep. He's very good and reasonable.
Seriously, this has to be one of the EASIEST things to do on your Jeep. Plus you get to look at the cool gears inside. Seach the write-ups and you will find a simple step by step process that you can def do by yourself even if you have ZERO mechanical aptitude.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:06 PM
JK Freak

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this...

I took my JK in this morning for a leaking axle seal and they called me within a few hours to let me know they ordered the parts. (I told them it was an axle seal last week ) While on the phone they let me know that I had some maintenance items they wanted to do, including swapping the differential fluid. When I asked about the price, my jaw dropped.... $135 ... APPIECE!

I politely declined. The funny thing is... in order to replace the axle seal, they are already going to be doing the front under warranty (unless they put the old diff fluid back in).
What are they smokin?Whatever it is it's good.oh and exspensive.

Quick Reply: You want HOW much???