Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Yet another "trade in for pentastar" thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another "trade in for pentastar" thread

Hi all,
so yes, this will be yet another thread on this subject, except I will bring in my specific application / situation / consideration part, hoping to get a good advice of what should I do.
I have a 2011 Rubicon unlimited, automatic (got it from the dealership 11 months ago). Now I have just pulled the trigger on quite a major build-up order, including 3.5" long arm lift, 37" tires, axle reinforcement kit, 5:13 gears, bumpers etc' - waiting for the merchandize to arrive.
And now I think to myself - before I actually go ahead an install all this $13K worth of upgrades (which pretty much will mean I will keep the rig for another 8-10 years), maybe I should go extra mile and trade in for the 2012 ? And then do same install on that platform.
This Jeep is a daily driver for me (short commute to work, no hills). Offroad, I like crawling much more than racing and I plan to take this Jeep to hardest trails like Rubicon and Moab etc'. For me, there are three main decision points / question that could help me decide to go for 2012 before the upgrade:
1) Will I experience significant motor performance differences off-road?
2) Will gas savings be significant ?
3) Should I expect that resell value of 2012 will much higher than 2011 down the road (I know it's hard to anticipate)

Bottom line, I don't care much if 2012 will outperform my 2011 at traffic light race.
P.S. I may also trade in the 2011 Rubi for 2012 Sport - because anyway most of Rubicon offroad related goodies are not worth much when I plan to build up the rig (except the Dana 44 axle - there is no non-Rubicon trims that include this axle in the front, right?)
Old 04-08-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

you are correct on the front axle. i just bought a 12 jkr. i dont know, though, you gotta lot stuff coming. at the end of the day the pentastar should give a higher resale value, but jeeps are good with that period. if you get a sport, you could just add the axle, and lockers, but thats adding to your cost

i came from an 07 JKU with a manual to a 12 2 door rubicon auto (wife wants to drive on trails, and we keep the wife happy here). anyway, for all the love the new engine gets in the 100 miles ive driven it is noticable but not overwhelming. now part of that is im used to a manual, the other part is that i dont slam down on it. when i do, i get the sense the power is there, though.

i needed a new jeep. im glad i made to the new engine. that said, i didnt have a major problem with the old.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

I understand your situation. I have a 2010 rubicon and wish I knew that in 2012 they would change the engine. But I am just going to stick it out with the minivan tested 3.8.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

The new engine is awesome! Your going to get the 3.8 guys and 3.6 guys slinging mud over why it is or isn't the right move for YOU. Truth is only you will know. Find a buddy that has one or test drive one at the dealer. There really is a big difference. Resale will be higher no question. Serious crawling I couldn't tell you. But as you said it will be your dd.. That is where you will really appreciate the passing power, off the line power etc.. I know it's not a race car but it never hurts to have more motor, or I mean less motor with more power lol... Oh and the five speed auto vs the four is nice too. Hope this helps..

Last edited by Sprocket; 04-08-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

1) Will I experience significant motor performance differences off-road? No
2) Will gas savings be significant ? No
3) Should I expect that resell value of 2012 will much higher than 2011 down the road (I know it's hard to anticipate) Yes
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
Off road you'll notice less of a difference than onroad.
Thanks, that's the feedback I was looking for... After driving this

for a few years (a diesel rig that never ran faster than 65 MPH), my 2011 JK feels like an F-16 to me on highways and I am happy with that. My main objective is squeeze whatever I can for off-road use
Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mojoe
1) Will I experience significant motor performance differences off-road? No
2) Will gas savings be significant ? No
3) Should I expect that resell value of 2012 will much higher than 2011 down the road (I know it's hard to anticipate) Yes
3a.

Considering you can order a 2013 in just under 2 months from now, a 2011 period is going to be worth less.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 5-speed auto that is paired with the 3.6 is a huge improvement as well.Finally a dedicated cooler too.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

i've always been the 3.6L supporter. But i can say this. Its only worth it for YOU to get a 2012 if you have an automatic. As far as manual trans.. the difference isn't as big as i might have thought. its a bit better, but not blow you away better.

doh.. you have an automatic? i'd say its probably worth the switch for a longer term build.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vanilla_Coke
3a.

Considering you can order a 2013 in just under 2 months from now, a 2011 period is going to be worth less.
I understand your joke, but probably you didn't understand my question. I mean a big, non-linear gap in pricing between 2011 versus 2012. Differences between 2012, 2013, 2014 will be more linear (unless Jeep throws another fit and make another big change somewhere)

Quick Reply: Yet another "trade in for pentastar" thread