Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Yep, I regret it!!!!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coat, front roof panels, windows and kick that heater into high. That's what I did in March when we got our first warm spells.

Sometimes I think that they intentional built those Jeep mini blast furnaces for the first warming spells of the year.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speed2005
How long is your commute? Mine is 32 miles one way with mostly freeway
He lives in Chicago. If he truly lives in the city, his 5 mile commute will take longer than your 32 mile route
Old 05-08-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long is your commute? Mine is 32 miles one way with mostly freeway
Crap I drove 60km one way on the freeway a few mornings with the top down and it was between -7 to -10C out in the mornings but our heaters are amazing!! 40-50F is balmy!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

So before I got my JK I asked this question and got ton of responses.
Well I did not listen to those who said to get both tops and only got the hard top.
Now that we are finally going to have a worm dry week here in NE ohio I want to take the top off! Problem is I leave for work early when it’s still 40-50is and have a far commute so not practical to leave my top at home!! Mother f*er why didn’t I get both tops!
I had the JK since early March and have been looking for a used soft top in my area but no-one is selling one for the 10-11JK :(

FML!
Suck it up, I drove to work with the top down and door off last week when it was 47! Turn the heat on high and wear a jacket, it will be worth it on the drive home!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Goo job taking the top off. With the wife the rule is 48 degrees for no top without the wife whenever. We live in NEO, got take advantage of everyday we get. Sometimes in the winter I'll pop the freedom panels when we go snowshoeing since we are already bundled up, now that gets cold.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
I drove through a 2-hour rainstorm in about 40 degree weather on the highway with just the front panels and the doors on (not intentionally) - and it actually wasn't too terribly bad. Just keep your doors on and windows up for the drive in the morning, then you can take the tops off for the drive home!

I also picked up a Spiderwebshade for those days where I do take the entire top off and leave it at home. (like today, for example )

P.S. If you DO decide to do this - make sure you put those rear flip-down tabs down on the freedom panels.

This, it is in the 50's here and the 70's - 80's here this time of year and in the fall. The freedom tops on, doors and windows up, help out tremendously. You can also go out for the evening with the significant other and not get frowned out for hair being blown everywhere. I have run this when the temp was in the upper 30's and stayed nice and warm.

But, yes you messed up by not going ahead and getting the dual top, I will be buying a trektop NX by year end.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have both tops and I find it difficult every year to swap tops. It's a pain in the butt to have somebody else always there to help you. I enjoy the benefits of the hard top a lot but I can do without it. I'm actually looking to get rid of mine. The soft top to me is easier to maintain in the long run than if I scratched the paint or broke a window on the hard top.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Torrin
Suck it up, I drove to work with the top down and door off last week when it was 47! Turn the heat on high and wear a jacket, it will be worth it on the drive home!
Ditto . the dog and wife were not happy, the important thing i was

I've had the doors off for almost a week now sadly i may have to put them on for our rain storm tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by goncalo
I have both tops and I find it difficult every year to swap tops. It's a pain in the butt to have somebody else always there to help you. I enjoy the benefits of the hard top a lot but I can do without it. I'm actually looking to get rid of mine. The soft top to me is easier to maintain in the long run than if I scratched the paint or broke a window on the hard top.
Thats true until your zippers start to wear out, or the windows get damaged or when the top starts to tear from being folded down.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Also, in the high heat areas, the Freedom tops on, top off get you away from the heat, running like that right now due to temps in the high 80's and 90 today. It sucks when you are topless, wearing a dress shirt and pants during the day for work, it is brutal. Especially when we get into the upper 90's and low 100's.

Quick Reply: Yep, I regret it!!!!