Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

X vs. Sahara

Old 07-16-2007, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your just going to drive your Jeep on the road and not modify it, go for the Sahara. The fenders and wheels/tires look better along with the interior. But If you plan on wheeling and modifying it, go for the X. Thats what I did, I got the X model with the power group and dual tops, painted my own gauges, and swapped out the stereo.....the only thing left that makes a Sahara a little better is the wheels/tires and fenders.......well Ill be swapping out the wheels and tires in two weeks and throwing the PSC tube fenders on as soon as they come out (painted to match). What Im saying is that the Sahara xtra's really would have done me no good.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other difference between the two is you can get an X with the locking rear diff and swaybar disconnect, the Sahara doesn't offer these.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jamesbob220
an interesting little tidbit about the x and sahara. while you can pretty much build the x to be the exact as a sahara (minus the fenders and the yes essential seats) be careful! from what ive heard, the 07 saharas are holding their value much more than the almost exactly equipt x... if your planning do drive it into the dirt (haha pun!) then this doesnt matter. just a little food for thought.
The sahara has always been a sought after vehicle since day one! THe values hold on them and there is a strange attraction towards them.... I have seen many saharas wheeled and no real problems. Once you add up all the options you get with the sahara and the added long term value it makes sense to spend the extra few bucks!

JMHO and I do have a 2007 2dr sahara in dark green with a khaki top and believe me i love it!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought an X cause I didn't want to pay the big difference in $...I ended up getting the side steps and 17" wheels for $500 total off a Sahara owner. IMO, except for the fenders it's very similar.

I'll lift my Jk in the next year and get bigger meats anyways for the look...I honestly don't go wheelin enough to buy a RUBI
Old 07-17-2007, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Default I went for the X...

My hunting partner and I are both over 60, and we both wanted an Unlimited as soon as we saw them...he went the way of the older person, and went with a black Sahara Unlimited with the Hardtop, automatic tranny, with 18" Bridgestones...I went with the Jeep green X with 6 speed, power group, 23S package, 4.10, softtop and 17" Wranglers...paid about $2000 less than he did...

I think his fenders look crappy, and he's trying to save enough money to buy a hoist for the top so he can go topless...

I'm cruising around with my bikini and duster enjoying life...he has a hardtop that leaks, even though it's been back for the fix...

I don't even miss the silver trim around the gauges...get an X.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chesapeakebayprints
My hunting partner and I are both over 60, and we both wanted an Unlimited as soon as we saw them...he went the way of the older person, and went with a black Sahara Unlimited with the Hardtop, automatic tranny, with 18" Bridgestones...I went with the Jeep green X with 6 speed, power group, 23S package, 4.10, softtop and 17" Wranglers...paid about $2000 less than he did...

I think his fenders look crappy, and he's trying to save enough money to buy a hoist for the top so he can go topless...

I'm cruising around with my bikini and duster enjoying life...he has a hardtop that leaks, even though it's been back for the fix...

I don't even miss the silver trim around the gauges...get an X.
My X is so close to being a Sahara other then the fenders not being painted I got everything I wanted. I don't care for alot of power options, windows, locks etc. Not into the techno stuff so I didn't get any of that stuff. I wanted a Jeep for Off roading and not for listening to music or talking on the phone.(although mine came with bluetooth, I don't use it) I can't see watching a movie when your out camping.

Anyway I guess it boils down to what you want and what your going to do with it that counts. I also like the looks of the black fenders over the painted ones. Just all my.02
Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Talking

I mainly made my choice between the Sahara and X based on color. I was set on getting flame red which is not offered on the Sahara, probably because flame red fenders wouldn't look good (see Quadratec's Jeep.) There are a couple other colors not available on the Sahara.
I didn't go for the Rubicon because I didn't need the heavy duty suspension and I know I would be replacing the wheels and tires. So the only thing I was giving up was the silver bevel on the speedometer and the YES seats.

Stylistically I felt like the black fenders made the Jeep look much more rugged (see Rubicon.) The black fenders also makes the Jeep really easy to clean and wax. It's basically a hood and 4 doors.I don't have to be concerned about leaning on them or getting scratched from brush.

Also, overtime the painted fenders will get flex lines like I had with my YJ. It looks like spider webs. When my black fenders begin to fade, I'll replace them. In fact I can replace them 9x and my X will still be cheaper.

With all that said, I think certain colors do look better with painted fenders than other's.

[IMG][/IMG]

I realize this is all subjective and by no means do I mean to offend. The Wrangler is built to be modified which let's us make them unique and our own.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rupedog
My X is so close to being a Sahara other then the fenders not being painted I got everything I wanted.
This is something else that's even more true with the JK's than previous Wranglers. There really isn't that much difference between the non Rubicon models. If you go back and compare a TJ X and Sahara, then yeah, there's a considerable difference between the two...not sure if they eventually offered D44's, but I know the early X's were strictly D35's.

Either way debates like this and the Rubicon vs. {insert model here}, Auto vs 6spd, Hardtop vs soft top, paper vs plastic will never end as someone's always gonna argue that what they bought is better because...well, they bought it .
Old 07-17-2007, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 'drack
Either way debates like this and the Rubicon vs. {insert model here}, Auto vs 6spd, Hardtop vs soft top, paper vs plastic will never end as someone's always gonna argue that what they bought is better because...well, they bought it .

Well, yeah... But ain't it fun!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dubya
Well, yeah... But ain't it fun!
Only when I'm right.

Quick Reply: X vs. Sahara