Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

X vs. Sahara

Old 07-15-2007, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ayersdm
I purchased the X and mine had all the upgrades that come standard on the Sahara ( 17in wheels, infinity sound, power group, side steps, trip computer etc.) The only thing is doesn't have is the YES fabric, silver gauges, and the painted fenders. The price difference from my X and the Sahara was about 4000. There is no way painted fenders, YES fabric, and the silver trim gauges are worth $4000.
i totally agree. i just don't see the sense in dropping the extra money on a sahara when it's functionally the same; except for the flares being a functional hazard. due to it being simply a cosmetic "upgrade" (i dislike the body color flares), the trim level is kinda yuppy imo.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

an interesting little tidbit about the x and sahara. while you can pretty much build the x to be the exact as a sahara (minus the fenders and the yes essential seats) be careful! from what ive heard, the 07 saharas are holding their value much more than the almost exactly equipt x... if your planning do drive it into the dirt (haha pun!) then this doesnt matter. just a little food for thought.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by strike2dr
I think the x is pretty dam ugly if you ask me.... the tiny wheels and tires really look bad. I spent the extra few bucks and got the sahara and have never looked back! Also if anyone has ever seen a tj that has sat in the sun half its life you will see how badly the fender flares fade. So in conclussion.... get the sahara, x is def. on a budget!
Both of my Xs are loaded 17inch wheels on the silver one and 16 on my girls. Power everything and hard tops. fog lights you name it they have it.
IMO the painted fenders on the Sahara is the ugliest thing i have ever seen (unless its all black).
Thats why we went Xs over Sahara.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by twinturbostang
IMO the painted fenders on the Sahara is the ugliest thing i have ever seen (unless its all black).
Agreed x 10..but to each his own...
Old 07-15-2007, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dubya
Agreed x 10..but to each his own...
to each his own is correct. I am of the opinion that the all black fenders is about as ugly as it can get. I'd rather deal with a few scratches than having faded black fenders eventually. All the 303 protectant in the world couldn't help my TJ flares from looking like crap so hopefully it holds up a little better on those with all black flares on their JK's
Old 07-15-2007, 04:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If faded fenders are an issue, can't you just easily buy replacement ones? Or even take them to a body shop for a couple of coats of paint?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamesbob220
... from what ive heard, the 07 saharas are holding their value much more than the almost exactly equipt x...
Usually it's the lower priced versions that actually hold their value better. I know that the 3 year residual value last December of a Rubicon was 69% and the residual value of the comparably equipped X was 71%.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayland1985
If faded fenders are an issue, can't you just easily buy replacement ones? Or even take them to a body shop for a couple of coats of paint?
Krylon fusion, like I mentioned above. No point in overpaying a body shop to do it. Stuff is specifically designed for the plastic bits about our Jeeps. I don't see it being an issue though, as I mentioned, these aren't the same flares that were on TJ's, YJ's, and CJ's and if they're the same as the KJ, they should hold up nicely over time.....besides, Sahara or X, the bumpers are the same as the unpainted flares, so if they're gonna look like ass, it's gonna be all models across the board .
Old 07-16-2007, 02:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 'drack

snip

as I mentioned, these aren't the same flares that were on TJ's, YJ's, and CJ's and if they're the same as the KJ, they should hold up nicely over time.....besides, Sahara or X, the bumpers are the same as the unpainted flares, so if they're gonna look like ass, it's gonna be all models across the board .

Yep. And on top of that, add this: Not all TJ flares faded. I owned 4 TJ's and none of the flares faded... YMMV
Old 07-16-2007, 03:05 AM
JK Super Freak

They are very similar, with a few differences people have pointed out. I would have bought my wife a Sahara had she wanted one, but she didn't like the painted fenders.

Quick Reply: X vs. Sahara