Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

X vs. Sahara

Old 07-13-2007, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the contrasting colors of the fenders. IMO the painted fenders are more hassle than good, especially when you scrape one or have to replace.
As for the trim, I do believe just about everything that comes standard on the Sahara can be had on the X. The difference in price between the loaded Sahara and the loaded X is about $3-$4 K. Those savings in $$$$ allowed me to purchase and install:
1. A new AEV bumper
2. PIAA fogs for the new bumper
3. Mopar alarm system
4. BestTop bikini
5. BestTop duster
6. BestTop windjammer
7. Mopar door entry sills
8. Wet Okale seatcovers
9. Mopar side tubes
10. Mopar fuel door
11. SkyJacker front spacer (to get the JK level after AEV bumper install)

Already had to replace the rear passenger fender due to contact with a stone wall. The cost was $58.00 installed, rather than almost $350.00 for a painted fender.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the brochure goes... The Sahara has painted fenders, infinity sound system, better tires, YES fabric. Power group is standard on the Sahara unlimited, but not the 2door. I got an X cause I like the plastic fenders (except on the blue and black, I like those painted), and I got the 17 inch wheel upgrade, with the s package, and the power group. I didn't like the "upgraded" infinity sterio or the YES fabric (I'm gonna get Neoprene anyways) so it made sense to me to get the X. I knew I was gonna upgrade the sterio and put seat covers on it anyways. I don't feel it is worth it to go to the sahara, but I definately DO think it is worth it to get the Rubi. If I could have afforded it I would have one of those.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the x is pretty dam ugly if you ask me.... the tiny wheels and tires really look bad. I spent the extra few bucks and got the sahara and have never looked back! Also if anyone has ever seen a tj that has sat in the sun half its life you will see how badly the fender flares fade. So in conclussion.... get the sahara, x is def. on a budget!
Old 07-14-2007, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by strike2dr
I think the x is pretty dam ugly if you ask me.... the tiny wheels and tires really look bad. I spent the extra few bucks and got the sahara and have never looked back! Also if anyone has ever seen a tj that has sat in the sun half its life you will see how badly the fender flares fade. So in conclussion.... get the sahara, x is def. on a budget!
The X can be had with upgrades to the tires, like mine. The faded fenders can be fixed with some Armor-All. The choice maker for me was this:

Already had to replace the rear passenger fender due to contact with a stone wall. The cost was $58.00 installed, rather than almost $350.00 for a painted fender.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Enteric
As far as the brochure goes... The Sahara has painted fenders, infinity sound system, better tires, YES fabric. Power group is standard on the Sahara unlimited, but not the 2door. I got an X cause I like the plastic fenders (except on the blue and black, I like those painted), and I got the 17 inch wheel upgrade, with the s package, and the power group. I didn't like the "upgraded" infinity sterio or the YES fabric (I'm gonna get Neoprene anyways) so it made sense to me to get the X. I knew I was gonna upgrade the sterio and put seat covers on it anyways. I don't feel it is worth it to go to the sahara, but I definately DO think it is worth it to get the Rubi. If I could have afforded it I would have one of those.
Ditto...Sahara wasn't worth it for me. After taking mine off road and putting some SERIOUS gouges (not scratches) in my rear flares, there's no way I would want painted ones. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Isn't that an x in your avitar ? the fenders aren't painted.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepthrill
insulated hood ?
has anyone in the history of jeeps ever complained that the engine was too loud ? Seems like an electric car might the way to go if this is a concern.
not to jack the thread but how does jeep decide what to put in each model?
When i think sahara i think of a vehicle that should be trimmed to facilitate driving in a sandy enviroment (i.e. tinted windows, wider tires, badass a/c ,onboard air ) I think i just might be looking at this all wrong its late and i'm drunk posting.
I bought my first jeep in 94. It was a yk with the 4.0 l straight six. There was a three to four year period where the six cylinder engine sounded for all the world like a diesel. I kid you not! Drove me nuts. I drove that jeep for 12 years, got 220,000 miles out of it, would still be driving it if not for it being totaled in an accident. I hated the sound of the engine for all of those twelve years. So, yes, I have complained of the sound of a jeep engine being too loud.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

I purchased the X and mine had all the upgrades that come standard on the Sahara ( 17in wheels, infinity sound, power group, side steps, trip computer etc.) The only thing is doesn't have is the YES fabric, silver gauges, and the painted fenders. The price difference from my X and the Sahara was about 4000. There is no way painted fenders, YES fabric, and the silver trim gauges are worth $4000.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:38 AM
-

i persobaly believe that those wheels are only ment to get you to the tire shop to get new wheels..say 35" lol... yeah theyr ugly but so is everything stock..includdinng the sahara wheels untill you beef em up
Old 07-15-2007, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Also if anyone has ever seen a tj that has sat in the sun half its life you will see how badly the fender flares fade. So in conclussion.... get the sahara, x is def. on a budget!
...and if you've ever seen a TJ that had the painted flares on after it's been wheeled for a bit, you can see how bad the painted flares look all scratched up with the white underneath exposed . I had put some Sahara flares on my Sport since they were an inch wider and it was just what I needed to pass inspection...after a couple trips out they looked like hell. Fortunately it was black, so I just used a sharpie to touch up the scratches, gouges, and or divots after a day on the trail. I finally ended up with a set of Bushwackers on it and they got sprayed with Krylon Fusion before installation. Same treatment should be expected to these if they start to fade.

As far as the unpainted flare on the X (or Rubicon), it isn't the same material as used on the TJ flares. I don't know what exactly it is, but it seemed more akin to the flares on my wifes old KJ than anything else and while those did fade over time (we had it 5 years), it was nowhere near as bad as the TJ fading. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Jeep Green/khaki top combo with the matching flares, but I knew it wouldn't take long for them to turn to crap. I'd rather have the ability to touch up with a rattle can, rather than having to try and use dealer touch up, which'd work, but still not be quite 'right'.

Quick Reply: X vs. Sahara