Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

x or rubicon?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x or rubicon?

i'm going to be buying a jk soon and i can deffinetly afford an x and might be able to get enough for a rubicon. for those of you that dont have a rubicon do you wish you did? if you do have a rubicon was it as good as you thought it would be? is it better to build up the X or just go with the rubicon from the start and mod from there?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

I leased an X but when the lease is up I'm getting a Rubi. Personally I think the options are worth the extra $$$ and I don't plan on modding the heck out of it anyway.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a damn near bone stock X, the only options on it were A/C and the Infinity sound system w/ sub. I could have afforded anything I wanted, but the price was so good on the X that I couldn't pass it up. I looked at the Rubicons, but couldn't justify the extra $$$ for a few creature comforts I didn't need and some upgraded hardware that might end up on the garage floor anyway. I plan on keeping it for the long haul, so i figure I will just replace/upgrade as things wear out, break, or the desire arises. In 15-20 years neither will be worth shit anyway so it made sense to me.

besides......with all the guys around that are buying Rubicons and tossing their stock stuff in the classifieds, you can get most of the options you want for dirt cheap anyway

just my useless $.02 of course
Old 03-11-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Junkie

i had X and was totally happy with it.It had a little accident and afterwards i got my rubi and must say ...i love it With prices on rubis being so reasonable right now you can't go wrong .....lockers front and rear ,that cool push button swaybar disconnect button,xrfer case,Dana 44 axles front and rear. My vote is for the rubi if you can swing it.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

If you search there a lot of threads asking bout this. It seems almost everyone would recommend the rubi. I know I don't regret it at all, well worth the extra cost....plus you can get em even cheaper these days.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

I have a Rubi, and wouldn't go any other way. If you want something extremely capable off road then the rubi is for you. you get the Dana 44, a rear and a front locker, automatic disconnect, off road bfg tires, somewhat better suspensions etc... what you really pay for is gear (D.44), the lockers and the disconnect. A lot off people will get bigger tires ( I didn't) and get some kind of lift for more clearance ( I did).
Old 03-11-2009, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

i want to build it so it is for a little bit of everything but mostly trails since that is what is in my area. i wouldnt go with tires any bigger than 35s
Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SONIC
it depends.
Are you building a rock crawling BEAST? or are you building a very capable trail rig?
if youre going BEAST mode, aka 38"+ tires, new T-Case, All that stuff, then go X because youre going to replace the Rubi parts anyway.

if youre going trail rig, go Rubi, if youre keeping the 44's the t-case and all the goodies then go for it.
X2

This is really the best answer.

The Rubicon models, since they came out, have met my wheeling needs almost to the letter. I do add a little lift and usually a tire size or two bigger, but I don't plan on building a rock monster with anything bigger than 35" tires.

Add a winch, some armor and go have fun!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a X with a Rubi 44 rear and edisco. Added a Rubi front and a Rubi RockTrac. Saved alot of money building it up to how I wanted.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for me is Rubi all the way, but yes it depends on what you want to do with it, you asking this question, makes me believe you should get a Rubi.

Quick Reply: x or rubicon?