Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

X or Rubi, im loosing my mind!?@?!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X or Rubi, im loosing my mind!?@?!

Okay, so basically im trying to decide if i should buy an X or a Rubi. Ive asked this question before, but now im asking again with a little more knowledge.

I want a JK Unlimited. Toss up between Rubi and X. (Manual)

Planned Mods:
4in Full Traction Lift
1 MORE Body Lift
37x13.5 Nittos
5.13 Gears
EVO C Gussets
EVO Axle Sleeves

These are all the driveline/suspension mods im doing. I am going to be putting front and rear bumpers and sliders. Plus fiber glassing a stereo inside etc. So there will be some extra weight up top.

My Driving habits are 75% Around Town, 10% Highway, 15% off road. Most of the off roading is on sand and dirt trails, not much mud or rocks.

I originally wanted a Rubi, but the only things that would be an advantage would be the D44 in front, 4.1 transfer, e lock.

Where can i get a standard JK D44 for the front, can i change the gearing in the transfer case or get a new transfer case and what can i do about lockers? And how much would this be?

Everything else would be changed out that comes with the Rubi, i don't care so much for the electronic sway disconnect, i just don't think i would really have the need to use it.

Should i get:

Rubicon and do all listed mods?

X and D44 front and transfer case + listed Mods?

X and listed mods?

-Rich-
Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rubicon for sure, IMO.

I'm almost sure you won't ever regret the Rubi but you could possibly regret getting the X. Also I'm sure you can get a great deal on a Rubi right now....
Old 06-08-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

You would be stupid to buy and X then swap a 44 front and upgrade the rest.

With incentives the way they are I have seen dealers with base model Rubi's for $26,000...but then again I have seen X's in the $20,000 range. A dealer in Phoenix has a X 4-door with soft top and soft doors, auto tranny and 3.73's for $20,700.00 and it is a 2009.

If your looking to save a few bucks..then buy the unlimited.....lift it the way you want and you'll be dollars ahead....if you buy the rubicon you'll have to dump all that money into it........

I almost bought an X...but I have gone all over with my Rubicon places where people with lifted TJ's can't since I'm fully locked...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

most of my driving is on road, i offroad every couple weeks or so in the summer, and do not regret at all getting the rubi. The 4:1 transfer case makes a WORLD of difference. If you're even thinking of it go for the rubi, e-lockers, e-disco, and the gearing make it all worth it. plus if your running 37's your gonna want at least D44's
Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

With everything it looks like you want to run on it...I would go with the Rubi especially because of the 44 in the front. Since you are in East Hampton, I think it is important to mention that you will be in deep soft sand alot. That may spark some more comments from the rest of the forum on your decesion.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm honest, I would have preferred the Rubicon, but I only paid $21K for my X with several nice options (discos, e-locking D44 rear, bigger wheels/tires, tow hooks, Sunrider top, etc.), and that was over a year ago before the incentives began in earnest.

After significant modding, I've got the JK I really wanted and it turns more heads than the average (stock) Rubicon I see driving around Omaha does.

In a perfect world, I would have done my modding to a Rubi, but they wouldn't haggle on Rubi pricing and I wouldn't have had the same mod budget to begin with.

So in the end, I'm very happy with my X.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Go with the Rubicon. I can tell from your list you are gonna want bigger and better (modoholic) like most of the rest of us here. In an effort to keep my payment as low as possible I bought an X thinking I'm going to upgrade all the components that make a Rubi a Rubi. It's pretty expensive to get an X up to Rubi-like capability. Hind sight...I'd be happy to have paid $100-$150 more per month to have a loaded Rubi over my mildly optioned X.

The only time I would change my mind is if someone thought they would have the appetite for 60's. Even then there are enough people out there that want to upgrade the D30 to a D44 so I'm sure you can get back a decent chunk of change on the D44 if you decided to go to the 60's.

In my opinion, go with a Rubicon and never look back. Financially it's just a better decision, short term and ong term.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

I bought an X and I would do it all over again.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Go with the X and get the Limited Slip Diff. Most of your off roading will be in sand and dirt, not crawling. The LSD works in 2wd, 4 hi and 4 low while the lockers only work in 4 low.

Get a 44 for the front if you really want 37's, but for sand you may want to stick with 35's to keep you COG lower
Old 06-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Built X with the S package, that way you get the D44 w/ e-locker. Seems that is only availble to the unlimited X's, according to the 09 wrangler flyer I have here.

Quick Reply: X or Rubi, im loosing my mind!?@?!