Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

WTF? (can I say that?)

Old 11-21-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to completly remove the hard top to get the soft top out. Just loosen all the bolts, have someone raise the back of the hard top, and the soft top will slide out the back. Then put the bolts back in.

Worked for my '08 anyway.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still wonder how it will "damage" the soft top by leaving it under the hardtop. Dual top models can sit on the dealer lot for months with the top in there. It's bolted to the roll bar and covered in a vinyl protective boot. Personally I think it's better off in the Jeep than in some bug or mouse infected storage closet. It does block a portion of the back for loading items, but its not an emergency to remove it...
Old 11-23-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by armycop
I still wonder how it will "damage" the soft top by leaving it under the hardtop. Dual top models can sit on the dealer lot for months with the top in there. It's bolted to the roll bar and covered in a vinyl protective boot. Personally I think it's better off in the Jeep than in some bug or mouse infected storage closet. It does block a portion of the back for loading items, but its not an emergency to remove it...
That's because on the lot the vehicle isn't moving and bouncing around. The soft top bows rub the inside of the hard top and over a short period of time they will rub and cause some cosmetic damage. Over a longer period of time it may diminish structural integrity. It's literally a couple bolts and a buddy to take the hard top off — the factory manual states that the soft top is partially installed for delivery only. It's not in there for giggles. Took mine over to my parent's house and had my MOM help carry it (2-dr), and had everything done in 15 minutes. It's really not worth making a fuss over.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jobrien
You don't have to completly remove the hard top to get the soft top out. Just loosen all the bolts, have someone raise the back of the hard top, and the soft top will slide out the back. Then put the bolts back in.

Worked for my '08 anyway.
X2. Just remove the bolts and lift the hardtop with one arm or a friend if needed and slide the soft top out with the other arm.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I leave the soft top cover folded back in the down position, take all the surrounds off and just put the hard top on right over the reclined soft top. Works like a charm and saves a lot of hassle re bolting the soft top on. It's a tight fit, but with enough finagling it works just fine!
Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

IMO Removing the hardtop isin't even that bad. Hardtops look awesome. But each has their perks. Definitly worth the effort of switching though ;-)

Quick Reply: WTF? (can I say that?)