Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

WTF? (can I say that?)

Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF? (can I say that?)

picked up my new dual-top JKU Sahara last week and thought I would put the soft-top away over the weekend, BUT never expected I'd need to take the hardtop off to be able to remove the soft-top????
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sr31aj
picked up my new dual-top JKU Sahara last week and thought I would put the soft-top away over the weekend, BUT never expected I'd need to take the hardtop off to be able to remove the soft-top????
Holy shit you're in the same boat I was in. I bought dual tops and then when I got home from the dealer (140 miles away) I called the sales rep to ask how to get it out and he's like "take off the top". I didn't have anybody to help me so I ended up taking it to the local dealer and paying them to do it. But, I'm prolly lazy and with a buddy could easily have done it myself. Never expected it though!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
LOL!! Yup, bought mine in December 2009 and had the same issue. My brother in law helped me remove my hard top so we could get the soft top completely off for the cold winter here in MA. But do you know what was worse??....putting the soft top on the very first time a few months later in early spring. Unless its 90 degrees and sunny, the stock soft top does not stretch very well. Took eevrything we had to pull and stretch the top so we could latch it on the front hooks. Brutal!!! This year, I let the soft top sit in the sun for a bit to warn up....lesson learned!!
If I take my soft top off for the winter and put on my hard top, will you help me put the soft top back on in the spring? I'll give you a case of beer.....whatever kind you want.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Navyvetnorwich91
Holy shit you're in the same boat I was in. I bought dual tops and then when I got home from the dealer (140 miles away) I called the sales rep to ask how to get it out and he's like "take off the top". I didn't have anybody to help me so I ended up taking it to the local dealer and paying them to do it. But, I'm prolly lazy and with a buddy could easily have done it myself. Never expected it though!
Yeah, nobody around to help me this past weekend so it's still in the Jeep. I should be able to recruit some help over the upcoming holiday weekend, though - that's the plan, anyway.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm glad I just have a hardtop....
Old 11-21-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

An I'm glad I just have a soft top. Hard Tops are so useless!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

When I picked mine up I asked how you get the soft top out, he said "first, you buy a six pack" I quickly cut him off saying a no matter how easy it is, it is still at least a 12 pack to get one of my friends to stop by.

One of my friends stopped by and we had it off in about 10-15 minutes, took the soft top out and put the hard top back on.

I was happy to learn how to take it off. It was a lot easier then I thought, and now knowing that if I plan to take a trip in the summer I know it is easy to put the hard top on if I want to have my personal stuff more secure.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Batts65
When I picked mine up I asked how you get the soft top out, he said "first, you buy a six pack" I quickly cut him off saying a no matter how easy it is, it is still at least a 12 pack to get one of my friends to stop by.

One of my friends stopped by and we had it off in about 10-15 minutes, took the soft top out and put the hard top back on.

I was happy to learn how to take it off. It was a lot easier then I thought, and now knowing that if I plan to take a trip in the summer I know it is easy to put the hard top on if I want to have my personal stuff more secure.
Wow I wish my sales rep were that cool.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EarlyJk
An I'm glad I just have a soft top. Hard Tops are so useless!
They are not useless if you are a skier and don't like to travel with your skis on the outside of the vehicle getting all caked up with grime and don't want the skis poking through your soft top window. Don't knock something just because YOU don't need it.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is it actually safe to drive from a dealership with both tops attached? I got the dual-top group, but I've read a few places that driving with both attached is really bad. I ordered a 2 door, could I remove the hard top at the dealership, remove the soft top from the jeep, and still be able to fit it inside w/ the hard top on for the drive home? Is there actually any harm in driving with both attached? I'm going to be running into the same problem as the OP.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: WTF? (can I say that?)