Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrecked Jeep!

Old 11-02-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked Jeep!

Well it happened today. We where on our way to church.
And WAMMO! Woman in a mini van blows a stop sign and pulls out in front of me, I slammed on the brakes anti lock did it's job but not enough. When I hit the horn she stepped on the gas instead of the brakes. I had no where to go! Hit her with the driverside front corner, in her rear passenger wheel fender.

Tore up the jeep pretty bad. Bumper, metal bumper frame, grill, fender, tire, inner fender, fender bracket, quarter panel, possibly the hood, and who knows what else.

I am affraid the insurance company is going to stiff me, We both have Geico.
Any body have any tips in coming through this with as little monitary damage as possible?

This is the first new vehicle I've owned and the first accident!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J.C. Keller
Well it happened today. We where on our way to church.
And WAMMO! Woman in a mini van blows a stop sign and pulls out in front of me, I slammed on the brakes anti lock did it's job but not enough. When I hit the horn she stepped on the gas instead of the brakes. I had no where to go! Hit her with the driverside front corner, in her rear passenger wheel fender.

Tore up the jeep pretty bad. Bumper, metal bumper frame, grill, fender, tire, inner fender, fender bracket, quarter panel, possibly the hood, and who knows what else.

I am affraid the insurance company is going to stiff me, We both have Geico.
Any body have any tips in coming through this with as little monitary damage as possible?

This is the first new vehicle I've owned and the first accident!

was anyone hurt? the rest is just metal. sucks though... I know jeeps feel like part of the family. hope everyone is ok.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

See what the insurance does and if you dont like what you see contact an attorney. Sucks about the jeep.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Man, I am really sorry to hear this!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Every body on both sides are O.K. Both vehicles drove away.
We live close by, I drove it home but the bumper is contacting the wheel.
I tried pulling it out but I can't get it away from the wheel.
I will have it towed to the body shop.

Wife has a sore spot on her hip where the seatbelt tightened down.
I really didn't feel the impact. I guess the Adrenaline thing, or I was focusing on trying to miss her.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

It is a real bummer, sorry to hear it

You can probably just remove the bumper if it is the only issue when you are driving. I have removed it several times the last time while wheeling because it was rubbing. Just throw it in the back and take it with you.

Glad to here that everyone was ok.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Naw, don't touch a thing, let it stay the way it is so they won't try and say you "enhanced" the damage. You should be ok with the ins company. If you have any problems throw a squashed lizard on their desk and call your attorney.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:55 PM
JK Jedi

Sorry to hear, at least everyone was ok. Good luck with the insurance and repairs!
Old 11-02-2008, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

1st: Glad everyone is okay. It is never fun to be in an accident.

2nd: Been there Done that! In Feb I turned out of my driveway in the dark only to have headlights barreling down on my in my lane. The result was a head on battle with a Ford Excursion as she was trying to pass in the dark and rain....

After the insurance battles, they didn't rule in my favor, but either way the insurance co. paid for it. I think the bill was about $7k by the time it was done. The only thing I regret was not taking up the offer to let the shop put on an after market front bumper with us paying the difference....

Last edited by TarboJK; 11-02-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

Glad your OK but if your wife is having the seatbelt pains already keep an eye on her.. My wife had a lot of internal bruising from the seatbelt and luckily no permanent damage. But its common to get deep severe bruises front the belt.. Get a good lawyer, not an ambulance chaser, and if you have any pain you should at least get checked out by a DR. would suck to have something come up later. Geico is not the most fun to deal with but since you both have it you should be covered well,, do you have gap ins?

Quick Reply: Wrecked Jeep!