Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

wreck

Old 12-25-2008, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wreck

somebody pulled out in front of me and i t boned them (everyone was ok) but i bent my bumper up and smashed my fender no big deal. my steering wheel is now upside down and my esp and esp bas? light is stuck on . it was not my fault but i am trying to avoid body shops and fix it myself with an upgraded bumper / alignment . do you thing that i messed something else up.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
With the steering like that, I would suspect you bent the drag link, and/or possibly other bent front suspension components.

If its not your fault, I personally wouldn't hesitate to take it to a shop- who know's how much hidden damage is done.
x2. If it wasn't your fault you don't have to pay anything for it. I'd bring it to the shop and let them give it the once-over, fix whatever needs fixing, and bill the idiot that pulled out in front of you. Could be something small that you wouldn't see now, but then something happens on the trail and you're screwed.

Just my two cents though. Happy Holidays.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

I agree with the above posters. It's fine to do the work yourself and upgrade, but I would at least take it to a reputable shop and find out exactly what is wrong and what needs fixed.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Take it to the shop if it wasn't your fault. Thats what insurance companies make the big bucks for.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just don't know what hidden damage is there. Have a reputable shop fix everything and put it back as good as new.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have done the rebuild myself many times, but subbed out the work that needed to be done at a shop at a shop. The question is whether the insurance company will just cut you a check, or require you to have repairs done at a shop.

If they will require them at a shop, then find a shop that will estimate the work, but then work with you on the side to allow you to do the upgrades you want. I usually bought back totals and then rebuilt them, but have successfully negotiated with shops to work with me (even allowing me to do some of my own body work) to have some extra bucks to put into upgrades like tires/wheels.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could try re-centering your steering wheel first, to see if that helps any
Old 12-25-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjeepmm
somebody pulled out in front of me and i t boned them (everyone was ok) but i bent my bumper up and smashed my fender no big deal. my steering wheel is now upside down and my esp and esp bas? light is stuck on . it was not my fault but i am trying to avoid body shops and fix it myself with an upgraded bumper / alignment . do you thing that i messed something else up.
It's a terrible mistake to try to keep it out of a body shop. First off, it's the other person's responsibility to fix your Jeep and fix it RIGHT. Secondly, the body shop will be able to spot damage that you may not. The last thing you want is an unsafe ride because you overlooked something.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

My shop does a lot of insurance work on rather expensive motorcycles. I have found the insurance companys do not work well with owners. Have a good shop write the estimate and then have them subtract the stock parts from the estimate and add the aftermarket parts. It is legal for you to spend the repair money on aftermarket rather than stock. You may want to have them put the bumper and stuff on even if it is something you can easily do. State farm for one like to stand behind the repair work and this becomes difficult if you do the work yourself. It is also a lot more work to modify a vehicle rather than fix it stock (paper work wise with insurance, time on phone, time with customer) and labor is where a lot of shops need to make money. If you want a shop to really work with you, let them know they are doing the entire job.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Take it in

Take it in at least for the free estimate. I have yet to get charged for an estimate, even when it was my fault. At least then you will know where you are and what needs to be done.

Quick Reply: wreck