Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrangler to Remain Unique

Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler to Remain Unique

From Allpar:

While most Chrysler and Fiat platforms are being evaluated to see how they will fit in the upcoming Chrysler-Fiat mix, the Jeep Wrangler isn’t going to be sharing with anyone. Not even other Jeeps.

Though it’s a relatively low-volume product, the Wrangler’s unique, terrain-conquering heritage is too valuable to dilute, especially with the likely demise of the Hummer brand.

Though they won’t be shared, the Wrangler’s underpinnings are scheduled for two major upgrades by next year. While the company isn’t releasing many details, these are likely to include the new Pentastar V6 and improved interiors. The company says new derivatives of the iconic Wrangler are also in the works. There has been a lot of interest in a Wrangler pickup like the government-only J8, but Mike Manley, head of the Jeep brand, says though he would like to do a pickup, such a vehicle “is not imminent.”

“No imminent” is also applicable to a diesel-powered Wrangler for the North American market. However, a diesel is being studied as it would improve the Wrangler’s fuel efficiency. That’s important as Chrysler works to meet new federal mileage standards.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just noticed something...they called the Wrangler a low volume vehicle...except it was the 3rd best selling Chrysler product in March...I guess all of Chrysler's vehicles are considered "low volume"
Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrysler is low volume, not just jeep, and if Chrysler keep their heads stuck up their a.. concerning diesels and pickups they will be a no volume brand soon.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

My family has been a Chrysler fam for years. Talking to my dad on the phone the other day, he said he went to a large local dealer, and the majority of their vehicles in stock were Wranglers and Dodge trucks. I told him to take the plunge and get a JK.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

There's lots Jeep could do to expand the Wrangler brand without diluting it. Diesels and a pick-up have already been mentioned. Both would be swell.

I'd love to see something closer to the original Unlimited -- a LWB 2-door model with decent space behind the rear seat.

And how about a Trail Boss range-topper? An ur-Rubicon with 35s, metal bumpers, tire carrier, winch, factory lift, etc? Slap a $38k sticker on it and you'd still sell a ton of 'em.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
There's lots Jeep could do to expand the Wrangler brand without diluting it. Diesels and a pick-up have already been mentioned. Both would be swell.

I'd love to see something closer to the original Unlimited -- a LWB 2-door model with decent space behind the rear seat.

And how about a Trail Boss range-topper? An ur-Rubicon with 35s, metal bumpers, tire carrier, winch, factory lift, etc? Slap a $38k sticker on it and you'd still sell a ton of 'em.
I say go the opposite. Make an offroader's package (aka builders package). 2 or 4 door rubicon, bikini top, half doors, no power locks, no ac, no carpet, one radio option, back seat optional, warranty optional, and knock 8-10k off the price!!

That would be perfect for those that really want to build their JK their way. And it would not require any new tooling for the manufacture of the vehicle.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
I say go the opposite. Make an offroader's package (aka builders package). 2 or 4 door rubicon, bikini top, half doors, no power locks, no ac, no carpet, one radio option, back seat optional, warranty optional, and knock 8-10k off the price!!

That would be perfect for those that really want to build their JK their way. And it would not require any new tooling for the manufacture of the vehicle.
A 'spec' Wrangler would be pretty nice. My Base model with no options was $21k. But I have a closet full of parts that I've taken out, most of which you mentioned (seats, top, carpet). However, I don't think that would know more than $2-3k off the MSRP. It could come as a 2WD which might knock off another grand or two. but, even then, I don't really think that this idea would work as a business plan.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thom1879
Just noticed something...they called the Wrangler a low volume vehicle...except it was the 3rd best selling Chrysler product in March...I guess all of Chrysler's vehicles are considered "low volume"
hence the $4 billion loss since emerging from bankruptcy, reported today.

anyone know how many JKs have been sold since the introduction?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
... anyone know how many JKs have been sold since the introduction?
Funny you should ask. I just researched this for another thread ...

Total, worldwide production (not American sales):

CJ3B, 53-68 (16 years): 9,718/year
CJ5, 54-83 (30 years): 20,110/year
CJ7, 76-86 (11 years): 34,482/year
YJ, 87-mid 96 (9.5 years): 72,113/year
TJ, 97-06 (10 years): 60,330/year

American sales of the JK (I could not find a total production number):

2007: 119,243
2008: 84,615
2009: 82,044
Old 04-21-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

Default Ford VS Jeep

Originally Posted by jsmittyund03
My family has been a Chrysler fam for years. Talking to my dad on the phone the other day, he said he went to a large local dealer, and the majority of their vehicles in stock were Wranglers and Dodge trucks. I told him to take the plunge and get a JK.
My dad comes from a Chev family and my mom comes from a Ford family. I've gone through a number of Fords and I'm on my 3rd Chrysler (2nd Jeep). I now have 1 Ford and 1 Jeep in my driveway. I definitely prefer Chrysler. The only Ford I liked was the one I traded in for my first Jeep. I just got my JK in November and it's the thing I love most! ...other than my wife... but we're coming to an understanding... Anyway, I like Chrysler products best so far.

PS - My dad just bought his first Ford and my mom just traded hers in for a Subaru.

Quick Reply: Wrangler to Remain Unique