Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrangler receives "poor" side impact rating

Old 01-24-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you serious, doors or no doors? I think you will find that a very small percentage of people run their JK's year round without doors. I enjoy doing this in good weather, but as I don't live in Arizona, Florida, or California, my doors are on my rig 95% of the time.
These rating have never deterred me from purchasing whatever I want to drive.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LynDi
I've watched two videos with Wranglers taking a hard hit from the side. The result was the same. The light weight Wrangler would spin away from the impact, often more spins than one. One involved a high speed chase and crash and another involved a train. I have faith in the seatbelt and airbag, and the rock rails, lift height, large tires, steel bumper. Everytime I see a Wrangler fatality, the lost soul wasn't wearing seatbelts and often was ejected.

I'm sure if I pin the Wrangler and slam a 2000 pound crash car into it, there will be serious damage, but I still have faith in it.
Light weight Wrangler? Seriously? This is a heavy vehicle. No where near a heavy duty truck, but it is one of the heavier average use vehicles on the road. Certainly if you account for size, it is a VERY heavy vehicle. And relatively safe. With the amount of relative vehicle our JK is a brick, and the fuel mileage reflects that.

I have no idea what high speed chase you are talking about, but I would guess it was the white Wrangler hit on "Fox's bad assed chases" or whatever the title was - the driver was okay. I haven't seen the train one.

But I would have to echo that if you have your seatbelt on, you are probably going to be fine in this vehicle. And a JK is safer than a TJ. Again - that was the IIHS's beef - that the door opened and it was likely to eject an unbelted occupant.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fray
I'd love to know what the crash ratings are with the side airbags. It was certainly and option that was required when I bought my JK.
Read the ratings again. The poor rating (2door only) was because of the POSSIBILITY that the driver could be ejected. The crash test dummy was not. Other than that the driver was "fine". Fine including possible internal injuries. Not that this is an accomplishment - but you have to keep it in mind.

And again the REVIEW of the ratings specifically EXCLUDED the Wrangler.

Quick Reply: Wrangler receives "poor" side impact rating