Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Wrangler: Pavement Only Thoughts
Any Reason is a Good Reason; We're Family
91.84%
Waste of a Good Jeep; Posers
8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Wrangler: Basic Transport or Off-Road Fun

Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not sure why one would really buy a wrangler without either off-roading it, or using it in the snow. If i didn't off-road mine, i'd be complaining on all the wind noise, creaks, squeaks, ride quality, mileage, etc, etc. I certainly dont see why soccer mom's would want one. But thats just my opinion. However it does keep the model selling, which is a good thing.

The 'posers' I do have a little hard time understanding. Buy bumpers, winch, knobby tires, etc, etc to just mall crawl.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i first bought my wrangler, it was a pavement pounder ONLY. It was "too nice" to take in the woods. Thats all changed now
Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

how many people have trucks and only use them as cars. you know the 4 door 1/2tons that never see gravel in fear of getting a rock chip. what about the guy with the supercar that never goes over 2500rpm or 65mph, does that count?? its not only happening in the jeep world.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use mine as a DD and it's mostly stock due to my lack of funds but I do get out and do some rock crawling:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-13-2010, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

I like it!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dxu
I've noticed some posts that poke fun at those JK (or any other model year) owners who keep their Wrangler on the pavement or at most, some very light off-roading. For sake of argument we will say dirt trails and the front yard. Now being on this board long enough, I realize there is a lot of tongue-in-cheek banter when it comes to mall crawlers and soccer moms and the like driving the JK around. But it got me thinking . . .

What are your real opinions of JKs purchased for reasons (convertible, looks, etc) other than off-roading?

IMHO, no matter what reason your purchase a JK is a good one for the most part. Few if any purchase for MPG, ride quality, or driving dynamics. People who drive in a lot of snow buy Subarus. People who want to haul gear buy F-150s or Minivans. If you want a commuter car, you buy a Civic. But if you want a vehicle that looks cool, has a convertible top, removable doors, and can handle inclement weather. Well, those people buy a JK, even if they have no interest in off-roading. And I think they have a good head on their shoulders.

Except the ones who "bling" their Jeeps. Just awful *smacks nose with rolled up paper*

DU
Simple for me.. Recall back at the end of "08 when the Big Three were in such deep doodoo? I just had my "97 F250 burn out a front bearing and figured it may be time to convert it to a ranch-only vehicle. Got to looking around for a new 3/4 ton diesel and DID NOT like the options or where the businesses appeared to be going..I opted for a new jeep. After owning and maintaining a jeep for most of the past 30 years, one thing they have taught me is a man can always make a jeep run no matter what. Parts is parts.

As for the mall crawlers, I've got a fairly new sister-in-law. Not a wheeler but not scared, either. Before she married brother-in-law she had a JK. After looking around, the only convertible vehicle available with three seatbelts in the back was a JK. The three young ones are bigger now so the JK is gone. To her credit, the hard top came off the day she bought it and didn't go back on until she traded in two years later. Taking it to the dealer, she said she forgot how quiet it could be with top and almost reconsdered.

Jeeps are tough, easy to work on and will last a lifetime. The CJ2A I first drove 36 years ago still sits at the ranch. No telling how many non-Willys parts keep that thing alive.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Jedi

Our JKU is a soccer mom vehicle during the summer weekdays taking my kids to soccer games and practices. during the winter it takes my family upto the skihill and on weekends it's an off-roader getting me to secluded area's be it through mud, rocks or snow! It's our fun summer travel vehicle with the top down and sometimes the doors off
Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine's the ultimate SUV. It's replaced my motorcycle, replaced my minivan, my friends and their kids love it, my kids love it, I love it, it seats 7, it carries all our gear, it tows, I've only offroaded a few times though. It's an excellent all around vehicle. I've been w/o doors for a month, even in the downpours.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

I have had a lot of fun teasing the 4 dr and slush box jk owners but it is all in jest. I used to run two vehicles, a subaru for winter and a solstice GXP for summer. I wanted to go back to a single rig, "had to be 4x4, and convertable" that was my total requirement. guess what in Canada there is only one, literally one the jk. I have grown to like it and it's quirks, handles the snow great, the deep mud, hauls the hay and chases the cows on top of all that it is about 10 rigs in one with all the configurations you can set it up in. I'm not into hard core offroading but my job takes me off road almost every day. the jk is the right vehicle for me and its a real jeep "2 drs row your own gears" not one of those slush box mall crawlers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hay Trailer..jpg
Views:	60
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	67122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Families Jeeps..jpg
Views:	58
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	67123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi with trek top 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	67124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apr 9 2010 Silver to Green.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	67125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi with trek top 2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	67126  

Old 05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

take your subaru and put it in two and half feet of snow and see what thet does for you.we live in north eastern canada and when the snow hits the wife still has to go to work, and i get to pull nurses out of snow banks and bring them to work. so the subaru would not do much for us. far as the soft top goes i rented a soft top in florida this past spring, mom couldn't fit her purse in the trunk, lots of room in the wrangler though. best basic transportation i have owned in a long time. mom has the patroit for subaru snow storm days she likes to drive around them.

Quick Reply: Wrangler: Basic Transport or Off-Road Fun