Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is it worth it to get a Supercharger and loose your Lifetime Power-train Warranty?

Old 11-10-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would put on a turbo before a supercharger
Old 11-10-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Don't know what all the hemi talk is about... superchargers run around 5k and hemi swaps cost you atleast 20k after it's all said and done. The AEV kit doe not include the necessary engine or transmission. I say get a programmer that you set back to stock if need be. That way you get some gains without worrying about warranty!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by socc3rakd25
Don't know what all the hemi talk is about... superchargers run around 5k and hemi swaps cost you atleast 20k after it's all said and done. The AEV kit doe not include the necessary engine or transmission. I say get a programmer that you set back to stock if need be. That way you get some gains without worrying about warranty!
If you pay a shop. You can do it yourself for 8-10k with a motor and Trans from a junkyard with low miles.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKingAround

If you pay a shop. You can do it yourself for 8-10k with a motor and Trans from a junkyard with low miles.
X2. Guys are buying the hemi and tranny for $1,500-$2,500.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a ripp supercharger and love it... ive also had no issues with warranty .. just need to find a mod friendly dealership
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsvictorious
I was just wondering your thoughts on this question? I have a 2008 JKU w/ shitty engine, 35", 5:13 gears, Auto and finally for once in my life I can afford the RIPP Supercharger or any supercharger for that matter. I just toggle with myself because the warranty for a SC is not comparable to the warranty I got as a stock JKU Lifetime Powertrain warranty! Has anyone just did this and said the Hell with the warranty, or are you in the same boat as me? What would you do? Ultimately, is it worth it? Just curious some of your thoughts on this to help me wrap my head around the issue! Thank you for all of your comments!
Great question... the easy answer is yes - you would lose your warranty... you should walk into a dealer and they should flat out reject you...

But the fact is after 5 years and over 2000 kits on the road, RIPP has built a solid reputation with dealers across the country... and typically you won't have an issue with our stuff attached to your JK... Why? Because Master-tech's have plugged in there scanners and seen we do not over-ride any of the engines safety features - and - typically clients aren't going into the dealer for an engine failure... and if you are - well, lets face it, the kit comes out faster than it goes in... Besides... 3.8's are available in salvage years for $500-1000 bucks tops...

With respect to the Hemi... in our opinion its overrated - As some of you may or may not know RIPP produces a supercharger kit for the 5.7L vvt HEMI... in NA form, its not that impressive - adding the weight and loss of MPG... in our opinion its why we continue to sell so many kits weekly... We made this video to show end users what would be really purchasing should they decide to go with a V8...

NA 5.7 HEMI on 32" Tire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GC8KCFvCNI RIPP Supercharged Auto JK on 37" Tires 5:38 Gears
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOG0_8VtMa4 Questions Welcome
RIPPTECH
Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After driving a friend's 09 2door with a gen 2 SC I would say screw the warranty. His had 4.10 gears with an auto and 35's. All it needs is gears and it will be nice.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default Supercharge it!!!

Originally Posted by dsvictorious
I was just wondering your thoughts on this question? I have a 2008 JKU w/ shitty engine, 35", 5:13 gears, Auto and finally for once in my life I can afford the RIPP Supercharger or any supercharger for that matter. I just toggle with myself because the warranty for a SC is not comparable to the warranty I got as a stock JKU Lifetime Powertrain warranty! Has anyone just did this and said the Hell with the warranty, or are you in the same boat as me? What would you do? Ultimately, is it worth it? Just curious some of your thoughts on this to help me wrap my head around the issue! Thank you for all of your comments!
I have the magnuson supercharger installed on my 08 jku rubicon. This thing is a toured beast now! We have done side by side comparisons with the RIPP mods and hands down the magnuson kicks its ass all the way. Low end torque and hp in the magnuson that is suited more for offroad vehicles like the jeep. Check out my youtube videos to view the set up. I will be installing gears soon to really transfer the power and become more efficient, jealous that you already have that side set up.

Jeep JK Magnuson Supercharged 4 - YouTube
Jeep JK Magnuson Supercharged 2 - YouTube

Quick Reply: Is it worth it to get a Supercharger and loose your Lifetime Power-train Warranty?