Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

"WISH I had known..." What would you do differently?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my regret is buying a manual transmission jeep because even with stock size tires I stall alot when offroading.
Everything else I like about my jeep.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, my dad and I both have jeeps, but he's the one with the money so he's working on his right now and he's got it to a pretty good spot, however there were some mistakes made along the way that I've learned from. First one being his tire carrier. He got a rugged ridge swing away tire carrier because it was cheap, and boy was it cheap, it rattled like nothing I have ever heard, even without a tire on it you would just hear it clunking away, and I knew he was upset with that purchase, so I bought both of us a teraflex hinge + carrier (got a great price on them), and while they were more expensive (by a large amount), at least we can both say we are more than happy with it, absolutely no rattles at all.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What would you do differently? I'd have to say probably nothing. I like my Sport. Perfect for my wife the dog and me. Looked at another Sport that had upgraded wheels tinted soft top but they wanted @ $3000 more. I'm glad I option for the basic it had what I wanted like the 3.73 gears. I purchased all my upgrades so far from forum members. Also met them personally and are a great bunch of guys with sweet rigs. My Jeep looks a lot nicer and I am in it at very little in cost. I have been bitten by the bug and would like to get a little higher lift, tires, and wheels down the road. Could not justify a Rubi just for the fact I don't rock crawl, although watching Eddie and Cindy's videos makes me want to. I mainly go on logging and service roads. I might add a rear locker down the road. If anything I wish I would have bought a Jeep many years ago. I always looked and wanted one. Well, now I do.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O boy id prolly redo everything differently.... Then switch it again years later....
Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in 2007 I went to the dealer planning on a green manual Rubi and ordering power windows/ locks; a simple radio; dual tops & tow package. The sales manager suggested a test ride in a loaded red rock crystal auto Sahara. Thought to myself, I could live with this, even though the color was third on my list. Kept my self control as they were pushing the sale. I really wanted green. So, they called around but could not find what I wanted. They tried multiple dealers on the west coast for about an hour. Nothing. This was the ramp up period for the JK. Asked how long it would take for an order from Toledo and was told close to a year. I left that night with the Sahara.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 02-07-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tried to conserve gas mileage...and went with AT 33's (which measure out to be 31.5"). I wish I had gone with 35" Muds. I didn't think I'd enjoy wheeling as much as I do, i thought is go maybe 3 times a year, so I figured id go with the road tires. Bad move. Plus I LOVE the look of 35's. shoulda coulda woulda eh?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I got the soft top and half doors!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I built mine to my own specs from the factory so I thought it'd be the perfect Sahara, I didn't know it would be a sleepless night addiction. Now I want a front D44, 4.10's, and lockers. For the most part I'm happy with my accessories (I buy the best IMO for my budget). I will be swapping out my TF Leveling Kit for a TF BB this spring, mainly for the new 33's and the weight of the bumper/winch combo. I guess that's my biggest mistake, but still hardly a regret.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1879296239.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	419509

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4101532184.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	419510
Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I very much wish I had of put 37s on instead of 35s, but only due to looks- my 35s are adequate (that almost sounds like it should be in the confession thread). I had a buddy recently give me this advice when I told him the same thing- "when you decide on a certain tire size, always go one size up because most likely you will eventually wish you had". I'm sure it's probably a testosterone thing with us all. That's my only "wish I had of...." thing. I'm very satisfied with mine far as past decisions (so far)
Old 02-08-2013, 03:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
Should have gotten the rubicon 2 door that was only 3 grand more with 260 more miles.
I should have kept my Chevy Truck and bought that used Renegade I passed everyday on my way to work.

Quick Reply: "WISH I had known..." What would you do differently?