Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

"WISH I had known..." What would you do differently?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no regrets - jeeps are awesome! go wheel what you have, you will prob be surprised to find out you already have kick ass 4x4
Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure that you research whether your end game build fits all together. I had to throw out my rock rails because they interfere with my brackets on my lift. Also, once you decide on something, stick with it. If you go into a store, sometimes they may not have what you want exactly and pitch you another product that is equal. Don't make a decision like that on the spot. I'd recommend walking away and doing research on that alternative. The eagerness to get it done, plus the pressure from a sales guy can make you choose something that you may regret.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably should have gotten a Rubicon, if only for the gearing. All the rest I've done to it can probably do as much, if not more, than a stock Rubicon.

They didn't have the color I wanted in a Rubicon, so I got the Rescue Green X.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I had known Jeeping was so addicting and expensive. I probably would have kept my Camaro instead and plead ignorance about the offroad world.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

When I bought my 2008 and started building it, after market parts were still being developed and had room for improvement. I didn't realize that I would be addicted the way I am. (4 jeeps, all built). I am a believer that jeeps are meant to be driven on the road and on trails. If I wanted extreme trails, then I would work a build plan that leads to it. No big rubber or high lifts until the rest of the rig cna be beefed up to take the stress.

We are building one now that captures the learning---- y-link long arms. Beefed up steering. Aluminum armor (yes armor does matter), Armored fenders, super charger, 4"lift, RCV's D-60, 44/60 front. Moved gas tank for more clearance. This rig will be able to drive down highways just fine and do extreme trails.

Just build one a couple months ago that has 35's, 2.5" lift, trail bumpers, Al armor. This one is good as a DD and most trails---just not the extreme.

What I reallhy don't like is stuff breaking. And re-do's.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do love my 2 dr, but If I could go back I'd get a 4 dr simply for the added space. I've found with Jeeps though, it's really never enough, there's always bigger better, that said I dig my JK.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only thing i really wish i had done from the get go is bought a jeep years ago . ive had old muscle cars, modern trucks , camaros ,'motorcycles atvs pretty much the whole motored spectrum , but nothing blows my skirt up like my jeep does . its not heavily modded but it suits me fine . but if i had got an earlier incarnation i would have traded multiple times because the jk to me jus looks so much more badass than previous models . i really cant see wanting another . but if i do it will be a four door
Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carolinajk
the only thing i really wish i had done from the get go is bought a jeep years ago . ive had old muscle cars, modern trucks , camaros ,'motorcycles atvs pretty much the whole motored spectrum , but nothing blows my skirt up like my jeep does . its not heavily modded but it suits me fine . but if i had got an earlier incarnation i would have traded multiple times because the jk to me jus looks so much more badass than previous models . i really cant see wanting another . but if i do it will be a four door
This. Camaros are awesome, bikes are blindingly fast, trucks are useful, luxury cars are really nice....

...but nothing comes close to moseying in the Jeep with the top off. Especially on a trail that takes you to the top of the world.

Wish I would have known a lot earlier.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ditto for the Rubicon. It may be cheaper to start at a sport and build something better than a Rubi but I apparently can't.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
no regrets - jeeps are awesome! go wheel what you have, you will prob be surprised to find out you already have kick ass 4x4
Exactly.

I'd say do nothing now, and start driving offroad.
If you have a club in your area, join it, and learn from the experience of others. Another option is taking offroading classes. This will shorten your learning curve by much.

You don't know yet on which type of offroading or what level of difficulty you'll get hooked.
The modding of your Jeep should fit your wants & needs, which you can't be certain about at this stage. Therefore, even if you go for the best mods, they wont necessarily suit you later.

Your Jeep, as is, is quite capable, so, as you don't have much experience, I can assure you that your Jeep is more capable than you'd expect it to be.

Quick Reply: "WISH I had known..." What would you do differently?