Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wish i got a rubicon

Old 03-09-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flienlow
So what is the cost of sourcing "t-case, 44 up front, gears, electric lockers front/rear, and electric sway bar disconnect?" Not to mention all of the messing around. Plus, all of those extras are cash out of your pocket.
A lot more than the $5,800 price difference between a Sport S and a Rubicon. The $8k number is somewhat disingenuous since very few people actually buy stripper Jeeps. You're also getting BFG M/Ts with the Rubi. Sure, you'll replace them eventually, but that's still $1,200 worth of tires you don't HAVE to buy immediately.

Last edited by JK-Tex; 03-09-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I wish I had a Rubi. I like the ones where I need the red shocks to make it look like a rubi. The sport can do 90 % of the stuff a rubi can do with a competent driver.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Timmylynn
Plus your scrapping half the crap you paid for at the dealer as you build it. Whatever. Like I said to each his own
I don't know what you mean buy have the crap. To go to 37" you need a new front axle or you cusset and tube a 44. You regear. You add better lockers and a antilock is much better the the rubi disco. So you would still need to upgrade. The only thing is the transfer case and with 5:13 you really don't need a 4-1. But you are right to each there own and it's just a stcker
Old 03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Timmylynn
I think you misunderstood my position. I agree with you. I'm on your side my man
oh cool then .
Old 03-09-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Default Why a Rubicon

There's a reason that the Rubicon cost more than the Sport or any of the other's. Its because the equipment on the Rubicon is much more heavy duty than the others, hence the $8000-$9000 difference. I've had friends that have had the entry level Jeep although great rides, everytime we went out and did some real riding with them, we always ended back in the garage replacing or fixing something on their Jeep's which I didn't mind doing. Because of this we always had to cut short our ride or never started it . Some were plan Jane Jeeps and others had aftermarket parts, no matter, we still were fixing something.

That's why I bought my 2011 2dr Rubicon, and I love it, with the only problem I don't like, for which all jeeps have, and thats the 3.8L, just not enough power for me but hey, I didn't buy it for the speed. I bought it to be able to go anywhere, anytime, over anything.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by teskymo
There's a reason that the Rubicon cost more than the Sport or any of the other's. Its because the equipment on the Rubicon is much more heavy duty than the others, hence the $8000-$9000 difference. I've had friends that have had the entry level Jeep although great rides, everytime we went out and did some real riding with them, we always ended back in the garage replacing or fixing something on their Jeep's which I didn't mind doing. Because of this we always had to cut short our ride or never started it . Some were plan Jane Jeeps and others had aftermarket parts, no matter, we still were fixing something.
What is so much more heavy duty on the Rubicon that always breaks on the sport? Err um the front axle or the transfer case? Case that's all the rubi has that to an extent can be call heavy duty. Besides whats in the axles and transfer case you still have a sport.

People compare sport and rubi like they would F150 to the Raptor but really it's like comparing an F150 to an FX4 .

And for those that claim it's for the warranty.. Once you lift and put bigger tires I'm pretty sure that voids the warranty.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
two sports built to emulate the stock rubicon !

the sport is like a miata vs a porshe
I will take my miata over your porshe any day. But no way is a Rubicon a porshe
Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default Why a Rubicon (cont)

Sorry about that I hit the wrong button.

like I was saying, with the 3.8L even though it is not the fastest thing on the road, it still can handle itself. With the 2dr its lighter than the 4dr with the same 3.8L engine, plus the 4dr didn't really do it for me. When I looked at getting a Jeep, I knew that I was going to get a Rubicon. I just didn't know which one the 2dr or 4dr, I will have to say that Jeep really went out of its way when they redid the 2011's. I mean they both rode like a friggin car. I was impressed, because I've rode in alot of Jeep's over the years, and I can tell you that they rode like a Jeep (rough and bouncy) the new Jeep rides like a car or even better.

With that being said, the choice between the 2 and 4 door models was a hard one. On the one hand, it was my vehicle to drive, so, I thought the 2dr was for me, but on the other hand with two granddaughters and a teenager still at home, I thought that the 4dr would work great for those reason's. When I made up my mind it was for the 2dr, because I already have a 2004 Z71 Tahoe, and I didn't want to get another "full size SUV" the Tahoe is our camp vehicle now, and not my everyday driver vehicle. My wife bitched about me getting a new vehicle so I went and bought her a 2012 TDI Passat, so she's happy now.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
heres my 2011 that i traded in Attachment 286924

although they seem somewhat the same in looks
my 12 rubicon is nite and day in comparison

I am looking at both pics and the soft top looks exactly the same.

my 12 rubicon

Attachment 286929 both arnt modified
im not bashing a sport , im just much happyer with the new rubicon .
with my sport i was contantly thinking of what id have to do to it now
i dont have to . i know you guys like to build them , but im not realy lookin for a build job i just wanted to know its there when needed im sure theres more capable jeeps out there for sure !(btw) there is a differance in size between the 11 and the 12 and
the 12 has a differant shape even . The soft top dosent even look the same shape !
I am looking at both pics and the soft top looks exactly the same.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow what a cat fight this is....

To say that you cant do 37's on a D44 is stupid. Tons of people do, with no Sleeves or Gussets.
does that mean its smart? Nope... does that mean you have to do it? Nope...

People run 37's on D35's... and they don't do shit to the axle... sometimes it snaps sometimes it doesn't...

For people saying electric shit fails on the Rubi's I say "suck it" I am 30k on mine and I use the shit out of it and nothing is wrong with my lockers or my disco... Did I put in manual discos for back up? yup... why? because they came with the lift kit... did I then pull those out and put in JKS ones? Yup... because I was afraid of my edisco ? Nope... because the ones that came with my kit rusted and looked ugly... Haven't ever had to manually disco, prob wont ever have to...

Lockers? why would I upgrade something that works just fine?

Gears? Sure, my 4:10's aren't the best... but they work just fine for me... with a superchips I am ok with it...
Will I upgrade... sure eventually when the $ is there I will jump to 5.38's but do I have to? Nope... do I have to to run 37's? nope... will I when I go up to 37's yea prob... but its hardly a MUST DO.

The sticker is sooo cool let me tell you!!! it makes girls get wet and kids all point and say OOHHHHH!!! AHHHH!!! RUBIONCNNCOCN!!!
That's right they can't even pronounce it over the awesomeness that is Rubiconage (thats a real world btw)

So you saved 9k ?? well shit you got your X for what $22,045* 25,545* off the lot brand new? BULLSHIT.
*MSRP excludes destination, taxes, title and registration fees. Starting at price refers to the base model, optional equipment not included. A more expensive model may be shown. Pricing and offers may change at any time without notification.
You really think I paid 9k more then you did?? you must be out your mind... Its more like half that... 4,500 Bucks...

Ok so you Put in a PR44 (because you said you can make it better)
And lets use Northridge because it will have all the shit you want...
(we will cut the price in HALF later just to make sure you cant bitch about it being overpriced)

ARB locker (you said better and the case is made that elockers fail)
Mopar upgrade Balled Joints... (again you said better)
5.13 Gears in it (once again you said better there is no price difference in gears so 4.88's if you want... they don't do 4.10's)
Everything else - reuse factory...
Price: $3,799.95 - and FREE shipping lets agree.
Now you have a front axle thats better then ours - Agreed...
But you still cant disconnect - so lets add in JKS quicker disconects (they are about as easy as pushing a button)
$157.95

Now your front end is like our front end...
Lets throw that ARB locker in the rear so we are really even...
we will say $996.05 cus I think thats the one you would need (cheapest pretty much)
add in gears for the rear - Because I have no idea which set you would need here either to match all the rest of this bullshit up... I lets say we use the cheapest one... $195.48

not looking too bad... but you also want to make sure that you get the transfer case in there.... Because you want to be BETTER then us... $1899.95

alright then... lets think about this... you are going to need air to run those lockers...
but lets say that he gives you that for free... So you don't even have to pay for it...

Grand total? at this point with Free OBA and no tax and no shipping??? $7049.38

But wait... lets say that is 50% off day at northridge... 3524.69 $
Yea thats a fucking steal of a price...

ok now are you going to do the install ??
Lets say you know how to do every single bit of this... and all of your tools and helping hands are FREE! you didn't even have to buy anything else... .

and just to make it even, you got found 24.69 dollars in an unmarked envelope in your mail box!!
3500.00 to make your truck as good/better then a rubicon...
And ze little bebe jeebus only knows how many hours you had to dedicate to this... doing nothing but this... but you love that kinda shit... so that doesn't matter right...

Well the whole time you were doing this... I was also wheeling the shit out of my rig... and having fun...
You are right sir... I likely paid 500-1000 dollars more then you at the end of the day with that super sale and all that luck... but seriously do you think I'm upset about it....

If I had the time, tools, dedication, and pigheadedness... I would do just that... Buy a stock 2 wheel drive wrangler and go bat shit crazy... I still don't understand why you would buy a new one if you just planned on modding it out from the start to be better then a rubicon... or why you didn't buy 2 wheel drive (they are not hard to find/get).

But I work my ass off, for not a great paycheck, and on my down time, while I do enjoy working on my truck, I don't want it to be the only thing I do...

A rubicon made sense for me... I will be able to get to the level I want
lift tires protection and durability and all that shit - for a lot less in the long run...
I don't have all the access to know how, and tools, and friends to help, and 50% off sales...
and I didn't get bent over and plowed in the ass when I took her off the lot... so It was totally worth it...

I get what you are saying, and yes this long and drawn out, slightly insane explanation is ridiculous and full of holes and complete misgivings... but so is the rest of this entire thread... Not everyone starts at shitbox and ends up with Monster Rock Crawler...
I plan on sticking with my d44's and rocking 37s and yea maybe gusset it (a whopping 65$) but at the end of the day... there is a lot of reason for people to want a rubicon and a lot of reason for people to decide to go with an X... 95% of the time its because its what they can afford at the time... don't kid yourself its any other reason... Its like saying oh I bought an 328i BMW and put 10grand into the motor because that saves me another 3 grand compared to just buying an M3... you bought it because you could afford it and you mod it because you love it and the sport...

Why is everyone having who's got the biggest shlong discussions and talking about how sticker jockys are not as bad ass as build up from shit boX's...

I would bet my life that there is drivers that would embarrass both of you (and you all know who I am talking about on this thread) in a freaking stock FJ cruiser even if you took a offroad evo custom 100k rig... saying its the driver is just a retarded argument...

Jesus sometimes this forum is like a fucking middle school lunch period...

Quick Reply: Wish i got a rubicon