Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

wish I didnt lift my jk

Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... this thread is multi-forked-up. Too many douches can spoil the punch line. Sorry, I've had a few.... So Blue, sorry people are giving you a hard time... but you don't make many friends on here by dissing the JK...

Anyway, so you did the install yourself? Did you torque everything down correctly when the jeep was on level ground under its own weight? That stuff really matters.

Still have stock shocks? Are the tires balanced? If not, get that done. Get an alignment. That will at least eliminate some possibilities. The ride should be able to be dialed-in by a pro-shop or some expert in your area.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP,

Something is not right if your "bouncing all over the lane". If you installed the lift correctly, then its probably the tires and/or alignment.

As far as miles per gallon, that depends so much on driving habits, speed, and terrain. I doubt you are ever going to find a full framed, off road capable vehicle that gets good MPG though.

But if you are just driving the pavement with an occasional visit to the beach, you do not need a Jeep. Get rid of it and buy a unibody, awd, aerodynamic vehicle. Then be happy.

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
My JK's computer is notoriously stupid. It says i get 13-14mpg.

When i do the math i get right around 16 pretty consistently city driving. Slightly higher on longer trips but I dont do those often.
My computer MPG goes between 12.7 to 13.5 average. Almost no highway driving. I am not doing the math because it will probably come out worse.

Originally Posted by Alien10
Sports car - now that's funny!
You mean.....it's not?

Last edited by Yankee; 03-30-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

WAAAAAAAAAIT! Here's the bottom line. Blue Project if you don't want the lift kit, I'll take it from you. I know, I know I'm all heart and a true Jeepers hero. We can do all that later. Just let me take that awful kit out of your sight and I'll dispose of it properly. You need not concern yourself with it anymore, bud. It's time...

Let it go.

When can I swing by and pick it up?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JEEPhilFry

Man some people on here are still running over 16 MPG with 35's how is this done! I barley push 14?!
I run 35's with stock gearing on my Rubi. I just checked my mpg and it is 17.2. The Superchips programmer I got from Northridge helps me do this....
Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone is having a good time giving the OP a lot of grief, but to be 100% honest, there have been a few times since i started modifying my jeep i did stop and go "just what in the hell did i get myself into?!?!?"

...add small lift, fiddle with it to get it tweeked right, add tires, add bumpers and skids, not enough lift, added new lift, fiddle with it to get it set up right, adjust control arms 50 times to get it to track straight, new lift ate driveshafts, added new driveshafts, wandering jeep, fiddle with control arms non stop for a year, UGH!..

There are days where i just get frustrated and wish i hadent started.

I knew my jeep would be a neverending project when i bought it, but some people dont understand that concept, or the simple way that one mod invariably needs something more to make it complete or work right which leads to the next need, then the next want, and to the next etc...

Then i get a warm day with the top down and no doors and i know that for me, it was all worth it and more.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue project
So I put a teraflex leveling kit and 31's on my jeep. I really wish I hadn't. Before my sport with 16" rims handled like a sports car. Now it throws me all over the lane and bounces like crazy. Looks like I'm selling it after the summer. (done with 16mpg's) Anyone else feel the same?
I'll gladly take that lift...
Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Everyone is having a good time giving the OP a lot of grief, but to be 100% honest, there have been a few times since i started modifying my jeep i did stop and go "just what in the hell did i get myself into?!?!?"

...add small lift, fiddle with it to get it tweeked right, add tires, add bumpers and skids, not enough lift, added new lift, fiddle with it to get it set up right, adjust control arms 50 times to get it to track straight, new lift ate driveshafts, added new driveshafts, wandering jeep, fiddle with control arms non stop for a year, UGH!..

I knew my jeep would be a neverending project when i bought it, but some people dont understand that concept, or the simple way that one mod invariably needs something more to make it complete or work right which leads to the next need, then the next want, and to the next etc...

Then i get a warm day with the top down and no doors and i know that for me, it was all worth it and more.
VERY WELL SAID, I completely agree with you 100%.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 915RUBICON
VERY WELL SAID, I completely agree with you 100%.
That's the beauty of this forum - we can learn from everyone else's mistakes! At first blush 35" inch tires etc. look great. But then you read the forum here and learn about other issues (drive shafts, gas mileage, wear and tear) and you can make an informed decisions, rather than based on what looks cool.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Ya, I would not grief the OP, although complaining about good MPH or "sports car" handling on a Wrangler forum is kind of asking for it

But the above quote is actually why I have not lifted (yet). The Jeep in it's current form pretty much does what I need and has held up well. I would not hard core wheel it even if I was lifted (I enjoy driving it every day too much). I know that once I start...it will cost many thousands before I am done. A lift, tires, wheels, drive shafts and control arms. a regear. But at that point probably should also get Pro-Rocks and hydro assist before I break stuff with the hemi and bigger tires. I just do not see any way to do it right that will not cost a whole bunch of money, after following this forum for a few years.

As much as I would love a lift with big tires, I have to admit it would be more for the cool factor than real need. Hard to justify even in my not so practical mind.

I am going to limit myself to some tires, a snorkle, and heat reduction hood this year (plus whatever I break of course).. And the tires will be 32".

Never know about next year though!

Last edited by Yankee; 03-30-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

REALLY?? I'm running 33's and did a 2.5" lift and I love it. I'm getting 17-18 mpg with the added 400-500 lbs of equipment. I did a Superchips Flashpaq on the fuel saver tune. It's a shame you're not happy with your Jeep. I learned from my last vehicle when to stop the mods and be happy with what I've got. My Jeep is perfect now.
I guess chaulk it up to lesson learned. At least you didn't go hog wild and go 37's with a 6" lift!

Last edited by Christine; 03-30-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: wish I didnt lift my jk