Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

wish I didnt lift my jk

Old 03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abacabb
Exactly... and if your getting 16mpg with 31's your doing something wrong.
I've got basically the same setup on my Rubi. and I get 15mpg.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say you are getting "##" mpg, are you going by what the JK's computer says, or are you doing the math?

My JK's computer is notoriously stupid. It says i get 13-14mpg.

When i do the math i get right around 16 pretty consistently city driving. Slightly higher on longer trips but I dont do those often.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

your gas mileage is going down because you put smaller diameter tires on! The computer is thinking it should be traveling a longer distance but you reduced your tire size so it is actually thinking that it is still traveling a longer distance than it actually is.

with the proper size (stock) it will be taking a bigger stride. think about walking....If you shortened your legs your stride would be shorter and you would cover less distance over time (Thats what your computer is telling you basically)

get the proper size or get an AEV procal / superchips flashpaq and adjust it for your tire size and it will properly calibrate your jeep for the correct mileage.

besides that I personally think you took a new stock jeep and messed with the calculated geometry and design and then threw on used tires that aren't even the proper size exacerbating the situation and your expectations. How does it ride with the stock tires?

Last edited by pmedicj; 03-29-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Teraflex 2.5 spring, rides better than stock
Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nikbass
I've got basically the same setup on my Rubi. and I get 15mpg.
i'm getting 18mpg according to my 'pooter...
on stock rubi with 33's...

might have to do the math...or just not bother...
fookit ... i love my JK ... i'd rather buy petrol than beer ...
Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560

I kind of feel your pain Blue. I lifted 4" and really wish I would have gone 2.5 or so with an adj rear track bar. That way when I get all the adj CAs and drive shafts, tire size options will be abundant if I can control my caster and overall pinion angles.
And different springs or coilovers can come in later
I hear yea. If I could do it again I wouldn't have bought my AEV and would have got teraflex's new 2.5"
Old 03-29-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Definitely would be concerned about the tires.

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Sounds like you didn't loosen the control arms up when you installed the kit. Also a alignment is not needed unless you have adj front lower control arms installed.
If you are going to keep the lift, I would listen to this guy. Just sayin. Not saying he is an expert on TeraFlex products but....oh wait, he is!

Disclaimer: I don't own TeraFlex products, due to only having a stock Jeep, but I have seen others that have had problems and this guy bend over backwards to make it right with their products, and usually his suggestions work, if not, it is another issue going on.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blue project
So I put a teraflex leveling kit and 31's on my jeep. I really wish I hadn't. Before my sport with 16" rims handled like a sports car. Now it throws me all over the lane and bounces like crazy. Looks like I'm selling it after the summer. (done with 16mpg's) Anyone else feel the same?
Not even close.

So, spend an hour and remove the front spacers! 31" tires don't require any lift at all anyways because the stock Rubicon tires are 32's.

Unless this is lost person discussing a TJ??!!

I won't get into the gas mileage discussion becuase any with a brain should know what they are getting before they buy it. This is a big box with a brick front end. Did you expect 20+ mpg from a brick and box car?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pmedicj
your gas mileage is going down because you put smaller diameter tires on! The computer is thinking it should be traveling a longer distance but you reduced your tire size so it is actually thinking that it is still traveling a longer distance than it actually is.

with the proper size (stock) it will be taking a bigger stride. think about walking....If you shortened your legs your stride would be shorter and you would cover less distance over time (Thats what your computer is telling you basically)

get the proper size or get an AEV procal / superchips flashpaq and adjust it for your tire size and it will properly calibrate your jeep for the correct mileage.

I'm really confused here. I put a larger tire and rim on my jk and the used superchips to program it correctly. Other than that the only thing I changed was going to a stiffer coil spring and superchips 87 tune.

besides that I personally think you took a new stock jeep and messed with the calculated geometry and design and then threw on used tires that aren't even the proper size exacerbating the situation and your expectations. How does it ride with the stock tires?
I'm really confused here. I put a larger tire and rim on my jk and the used superchips to program it correctly. Other than that the only thing I changed was going to a stiffer coil spring and superchips 87 tune.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Not even close.

So, spend an hour and remove the front spacers! 31" tires don't require any lift at all anyways because the stock Rubicon tires are 32's.

Unless this is lost person discussing a TJ??!!

I won't get into the gas mileage discussion becuase any with a brain should know what they are getting before they buy it. This is a big box with a brick front end. Did you expect 20+ mpg from a brick and box car?
Apartently you missed the part where I said I did the teraflex coil spring leveling kit

Quick Reply: wish I didnt lift my jk