Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

wish I didnt lift my jk

Old 03-28-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the leveling kit with stock rubi bfg's. It handles like stock and i still get 20mpg on the highway! something else must be wrong.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

"handled like a sports car" ...It is a jeep, is it not?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

if I want good gas milage i drive the Wifes Pontiac Solstice. love the jeep.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry that the OP bothered to buy new 31" tires.

I'm on 35s with a 4" lift and get over 16 mpg's. I don't drive slow, either.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

3 pages later and no responce from the OP?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blue project
So I put a teraflex leveling kit and 31's on my jeep. I really wish I hadn't. Before my sport with 16" rims handled like a sports car. Now it throws me all over the lane and bounces like crazy. Looks like I'm selling it after the summer. (done with 16mpg's) Anyone else feel the same?
Wow, i didnt realize that douche's were so abundant here...

blue project, i think you need to get a front end alignment done, and even before that, check your tire pressure. If they were over inflated at the tire shop, it could lead to a considerably rougher ride. When i put my 33's on they inflated them to 45psi!!! I was all over the road... Good luck!

Last edited by gonzobongo; 03-28-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a superchips 87 tune on it now and also recalibrated the tire size. I'm running used bfg rugged trails with 35 psi as set by the tire place. I had the stock "sport" tires on there before and it was night and day different. I also have not done an alignment as it runs straight. I had an 05 wrx before the jeep and I think the jeep handled better. It gets really old really fast having to pay a lot every month for a payment and not having very many creature comforts. Seems to me the chrysler is taking advantage of all of us for such a "simple" vehicle.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2.5" Teraflex budget boost. 32" tires. I had to do an alignment and relocate the rear track bar. Before I relocated it it handled like what you are describing. Did a front end alignment. still handled bad. When I put the rear track bar relocating peice it all came to gether like majic. Rides like stock. Gas milage like stock because it is not fighting agaist the tires. Also drop you tire pressure down 32 lbs. that will help the comfort of the ride. A few ponds can make a big Differance.

Last edited by Wannabewheeler; 03-29-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue, get ready. That last post is gonna get some interesting replies. I'm subscribing now so I don't miss the fireworks.

Last edited by Hook-Em; 03-29-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue project
I have a superchips 87 tune on it now and also recalibrated the tire size. I'm running used bfg rugged trails with 35 psi as set by the tire place. I had the stock "sport" tires on there before and it was night and day different. I also have not done an alignment as it runs straight. I had an 05 wrx before the jeep and I think the jeep handled better. It gets really old really fast having to pay a lot every month for a payment and not having very many creature comforts. Seems to me the chrysler is taking advantage of all of us for such a "simple" vehicle.
If your Jeep handled better on road than a WRX, then that Subi must have been a POS. It's a Jeep. It is made for perform OFF ROAD. You will sacrifice on-road manners to be able to go where no "sports car" or WRX could dream of going.

Sounds like this is your first Jeep. If you did any kind of research on JK's, you would have already known about how they ride/perform/break/kick ass.

1. Get an alignment. Even if it is tracking straight, it still may need one.
2. Lower your tire pressure. 35 PSI is probably a bit high. Try going closer to 30, or do the chalk test to see where you need to be. (Do a search).
3. If it still rides rough, get an adjustable trackbar front/rear.
4. Make sure your sway bar links are long enough
5. Take off the lift, since you want the Jeep to handle "like a sports car". Do you ever plan to take your Jeep off-road?
6. Sell the Jeep, and go buy a "sports car". If you still want to own a Jeep, buy a Grand Cherokee SRT8. You get the Jeep name with "sports car" performance.

Anthony

Quick Reply: wish I didnt lift my jk